Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Got a really nice dent in my truck today but it has a happy ending

Old 08-04-2011, 07:12 PM
Default Got a really nice dent in my truck today but it has a happy ending

Its kinda a long story so bear with me.

The college im going to have a group called skills and we say after school to learn more after everyone is gone. we had 2 V8 Detroit diesels that we needed to be gone and taken to the scrapyard.

long story short the first engine was fine it was 1K pounds with the heads and cam taken out and i got like $110 for it the second engine was the problem......this one was still fully assembled. while on the forklift the chain slipped and 1200 pounds of solid steel smashed the side of my bed (luckily its not showing on the side panel) but the top of the bed is bent around (and i got $130 for the pain in the *** engine)

i was steamed until the director of the school came up to me and said "i appreciate you taking time out of your day to help us get those engines out of the shop and i heard about the accident. Luckily this school has a full body shop that can do anything those shops out there can do so what im going to do for you is have your truck fixed for free.

then i asked if they can paint my truck and she told me all i have to do is pay for the paint and she said she would discount it for me and make sure they do a good job so im getting my truck professionally painted for $150 bucks. That made me sooo much less angry

Last edited by Wiked; 08-04-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:17 PM
TruckForum Addict

That's cool I guess. Got a picture?

My school's got an autobody shop and a mechanic's shop, and to be perfectly honest, I wouldn't let ANYBODY at that shop touch my truck unless I am the one doing the work to it. Like, maybe one or two people, but thus far, me being a mechanic and all, I haven't seen too many nice looking cars come out of there. All I see is messed up parts, LOTS of sanding and cars that don't run right after with messed up paint. Never an OEM type finish like I would expect.

But if you've got somebody higher up looking out for your truck, that's the best you can do! I'm anxious to see the results!

Old 08-04-2011, 07:23 PM

ill see if i can pull off a picture its dark right now.

and its not too bad for how much weight fell on it but it also somehow dented my lower quarter panel too!

But personally any paint will do better than whats on there now its scratched to hell the clearcoat is starting to come up and its not the gloss it should be but if im saving 500 on a paint job ill take that over anything else

Old 08-04-2011, 08:07 PM
TruckForum Addict

i am looking foward to seeing how your paint job will turn out
and thats a good director fro looking out for its students what school are you going to just out of curiousity

Old 08-04-2011, 08:26 PM

ATC (automotive training center) in warminster

Old 08-04-2011, 08:30 PM
TruckForum Addict

good deal
someday within ten years ill be goin to wyotech for auto and auto body just to get my ase so people will take my wrenchin seriously and also to further my my knowlage

Old 08-04-2011, 08:41 PM

Yeah unfortunately thats what you need these days

you can be the best technician but if you dont have your ASE's no one will hire you

Old 08-04-2011, 09:37 PM
TruckForum Addict

Agreed. I've got thee state certifications, which allow me to legally work on someone's car for a business, but no ASE's here unfortunately. I ain't got the guts to go try a test. I want shop experience before I do that.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:36 PM
TruckForum Addict

Originally Posted by NullHead
Agreed. I've got thee state certifications, which allow me to legally work on someone's car for a business, but no ASE's here unfortunately. I ain't got the guts to go try a test. I want shop experience before I do that.
i have to agree with ya on the shop experiance first honestly if i had a shop i would want people who have worked in a shop there whole life i think experiance trumps the people that think they know it all cause they read it in a book just cause you read it in a book dont mean its true imop