Go Back   Truck Forums > Chevrolet/GMC Truck Forums > Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-24-2008, 03:20 PM

Default grinding/rattling noise

hey guys, since i bought the truck a couple years ago my 2000 silverado makes a grinding/rattling noise on the passenger side somewhere around the back of the cab or maybe the front of the bed. It ususally only does it when i take a right turn, or if people are in the back of the cab. I have no idea what it is and it really bothers me. anybody else have the same problem? THANKS!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Truckforums!

New Addition to the family: 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T
Old 05-25-2008, 02:17 PM

Default RE: grinding/rattling noise

Icant think of anything that would really be affected by turning behind your cab. rattling or grinding couldbe a number of things. Does the noise happen when your sitting still, or just when under way? How random is it? Describe the noise a little better, I've had tons of noises from various components going out on my 01' so i'm pretty good with detecting them.
2001 Silverado 1500 5.3l Z71 Leveled, 3" blocks, 285 BFG all terrains, "Unique" steel wheels, Superchips Flashpaq, Flowmaster 40 axle dump, Air Raid TBS, K&N FIPK, Slotted front rotors, Coolant bypass, Brush guard, KC lights, 4 fog lights.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:58 PM

it does happen sometime when ive been driving and stopped at a light...its never started doing it when in park...and it always happens when there is weight in the back of the cab, and sometimes happens when i make the turn...i cant think of any other way to describe it...thanks for the help

Old 05-26-2008, 09:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to rxsteven

Check your heat sheilds
Old 05-26-2008, 10:34 PM

Maybe U-joints. Sounds like drivetrain. If its happening at low speeds have someone walk next to your truck and try to rule things out.
2001 Silverado 1500 5.3l Z71 Leveled, 3" blocks, 285 BFG all terrains, "Unique" steel wheels, Superchips Flashpaq, Flowmaster 40 axle dump, Air Raid TBS, K&N FIPK, Slotted front rotors, Coolant bypass, Brush guard, KC lights, 4 fog lights.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to jcbst12

Check the body mounts in the back near the cab. I heard of these getting crap in them and needing to be takin apart and cleaned. Sometimes they get rusty too around the mount itself and the area needs cleaned and touched up.
TBS, 180 thermostat, 4" CAI with 9x6" element,
Bypass and De screen performed,
AVG: 16 MPG City, 20 MPG Highway
Old 05-27-2008, 09:30 PM

thanks guys i really appreciate the help

Old 06-01-2008, 10:11 PM

Look at the starter. I had a 99 a few years ago that the starter bendex went out and made a awful noise. Clankingrattling type noise. Starter worked ok but with the bendex broken it kept clanking against the fly wheel.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:48 PM

i dont think it can be the starter cause the noise comes from the rear passenger side of the cab, or so it seems

Old 06-08-2008, 08:09 PM

as retarted as this may sound the back of my bed was bent in on my 97 it was touching the cab and it was making a racket at random times and it took a day or 2 to figure it out
Old 06-08-2008, 08:09 PM

Tags
1500, 2000, 2008, 53, 99, broken, chevy, dakota, dodge, grinding, noise, ratling, rattling, silverado, starter, truck