Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Hard to start when cold

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 11:16 PM
Default Hard to start when cold

My truck seems to be having an issue starting after it has sat and cooled off (mainly first start of the day). I have to give it some gas to get it to start ( like an old carb setup) and then hold it for a few seconds (10 -20) then it will idle, but not at a high choked idle. Its just a low, "im a cold-blooded witch", 300 rpm or so idle.

After it has had a chance to warm up, it will start normally for the rest of the day (unless it sits long enough to need choking)

Any ideas?

Old 02-06-2008, 04:05 AM
Default RE: Hard to start when cold

no check engine light?
i'd guess the fuel reg or injectors are dripping gas down overnight,flooding her out

Old 02-06-2008, 02:05 PM

how would i check for leaky injectors? to check the regulator ijust look for gas in the vacuum line right?

Isnt there something called a "cold start injector" or something like that? Do i even have one?

Old 02-06-2008, 02:10 PM

that tbi has the fuel reg built into it...so no vacuum hose...as for injectors...put some kleenex pieces under them tonight and see if they are gassy in the morning

Old 02-06-2008, 05:00 PM
Default RE: Hard to start when cold ** UPDATED**

i have been google-ing my problem, alot of people have mentioned"02 senors""loose or corroded battery cables" and "I smell raw gas when it fires". Which I never really noticed a raw fuel smell since i usuall start my truck with the door closed, but after reading that I went out and tried it, and i do get a raw fuel smell.

SO, I decided to check my battery cables, low and behold they were loose. I dont know if the problem is corrected but ill find out tomorrow.

**************************** NEW QUESTION******************************

Can anyone tell me where the Blend door actuator is? Mine thumps everytime i turn the key on or off so i want to unplug it until i can get a new one.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:09 PM
Default RE: Hard to start when cold ** UPDATED**

a bad 02 sensor would throw a check engine, although if this only happens when its cold, during a cold start i do believe the comp looks at the coolent temp sensor, if the sensor is bad and not showing the right resistance when cold you will get a funky idle.