Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 11:10 AM
Beginner
Default Headers

Hi,

Talked to my local exhaust guy and he claims I cannot get a set of longtubes for my 2000 5.3?? I then tried asking about a catted y-pipe that I heard about to make them fit but he said it wouldn't be worth the horsepower... so suggested getting a set of stainless shorty's because they will flow better than any longtube and will bolt right up to my truck.

I have heard everywhere the total opposite that shorty's hardly increase hp at all and that longtubes are certainly the way to go. Also I have seen a number of people on this board with the same year of truck and on youtube that have longtubes.

Can anyone offer me any advice?? should I go for shorty's or try and push for longtubes?

Old 07-10-2012, 08:42 PM
TruckForum Addict

Buy what you want! You want long tube. So buy it. I'd say pick up a set off of Jegs or Summit and have him install it. If he is incompetent, he'll refuse. Otherwise, he'll charge you some cash and install it.

Now, I ordered a set of shorties for my Firebird. I went with shorties because of ground clearance issues, but from what I've always heard, long tube headers are the way to go. You can get shorties and they will bolt right up with no modifications (or that's the idea anyways).

I think he just doesn't want to do all kinds of custom fab work to your exhaust to make the long tubes work, honestly.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:00 PM
Beginner

Originally Posted by NullHead
Buy what you want! You want long tube. So buy it. I'd say pick up a set off of Jegs or Summit and have him install it. If he is incompetent, he'll refuse. Otherwise, he'll charge you some cash and install it.

Now, I ordered a set of shorties for my Firebird. I went with shorties because of ground clearance issues, but from what I've always heard, long tube headers are the way to go. You can get shorties and they will bolt right up with no modifications (or that's the idea anyways).

I think he just doesn't want to do all kinds of custom fab work to your exhaust to make the long tubes work, honestly.
Honestly I think you are right. Because near the end of the conversation he mentioned cutting the exhaust and stuff. He called me back and quoted me a set of stainless shorty's for 750 bucks!!!.... F That! since thats even before install. I'm just going to do what you said and get them from summit and tell him I found a set, now put them on since i'm paying lol