Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Headlight mod for under a buck

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Default RE: Headlight mod for under a buck

You need to be careful with the 99-02 groundedwire technique.You'lleat through DRL fuses like popcorn. You are running both the highbeams and the lowbeams through one fuse in DRL mode.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:20 PM

I wonder if this high-4 mod could be done on a '96 silverado?

Old 02-03-2009, 09:59 AM

I have the relay from painless installed so my lows don't go out when i switch the highs on. My question is, if I have my fogs turned on can I keep them on when I turn my highs on. The diode mod makes the highs (or lows) trigger the fogs. I just want the option to have my fogs on with the highs too. Any ideas?

Euro, is ther another way to keep the drl's on all the time on my 2001? I see what you're saying about how that will pop fuses.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:14 PM
TruckForum Addict

I do not recall anyone mentioning blowing fuses in the 15 pages of info I read, but I am not doubting your info either. The more info the better for everyone.DRL is the Daytime Running Lights correct? Most everyone with a 2002 a d below truck grounded each low beam from behind the headlight itself not under the hood.
Also another wedsite that sells a headlight kitis http://www.mrtaillight.com/ These kits will give you different options for different yeah models too.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:14 AM
TruckForum Addict

Well I did my buddy's 2001 Chevy Silveadoheadlight modlast night. Just had to convince him it worked, because he tried it, but did not ground the wire enough in order for it to work. So Igrounded teh wire with a wire tap to prove to him it worked (he was skeptical even after reading the writeups)for him before i cut the yellow wire. It worked and man is he happy now. We also put in a corvette servo too last night. "Talk about night and day!" using his words for both mods.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:23 AM

Hey,I have a 95 Silverado.I know everyone is talking about the 99 and newer trucks but what about us with the old rusty trucks? Looking in the Haynes manual at the headlight circuit wiring diagram it says the Hi-Beam hot wire is LT GRN and the Low-Beam is TAN.Could I find a good spot to run a diode so that the Hi setting will power the Hi and Low but in the Low position it just runs the Low beams?I'm not a wire guy other than fixing existing things and adding audio things.Don't know if that will be too much power demand for the thin wires or fuses ,relays ,head light switch ect.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:29 AM
TruckForum Addict

I honestly do not know if you could add a diode or not in your case. I had a 1990 Chevy 1500 model and I just added the Highlo kit from Painless Wiring, but now you can get a kit through summitracing for half thepriceor the http://www.mrtaillight.com/site to be safe. I am not a wiring guy either. I just read and research first.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:37 AM

Hey ya'll.I found this mod for the 88-98 trucks on another forum.Here are their directions as follows.

1. Mount A Relay On The Inside Fender Well By The Battery
2. Run a wire (Green) from #87 to the low beam wire
3. Run a wire (Black) from #85 to a good ground with a self tapping screw or a straight to the negative battery terminal
4. Run a wire (White) from #86 to the high beam wire
5. Run a wire (yellow) from #30 to the + side of the battery with an inline fuse.
6. Tape up your connections and zip tie the wires.. test it out first though.

This works to cover the headlights on 88-98 OBS trucks.

The Relay just needs to be a 30 Amp Relay...

The wires are very easy to find since the only two wires running to the low bulb and high bulbs..... and the black is ground so you just need to know that the low beam is on the out side and the highs are on the inside of the grille.

I'm gonna try this and I'll let you know how it goes.Maybe I'll jack the A/C relay instead of buyin a new one. I don't use the A/C in the summer.I like the fresh air =]

Old 02-16-2009, 07:22 PM

First off,this is NOT my truck.BUT look how sexy it is! I like the headlight conversion back to the 4 sealed units.I'd like to do that with the high 4 mod.That would be bitchin!!! I may have to go to the junk yard and look for the headlight brackets muahahaha