Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Headlights won't turn off

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Default Headlights won't turn off

Hello all,
I have a 2008 Silverado and a week or so ago the lights just stayed on after I left the vehicle and hit the key FOB. I later came out of a store and they were still on (middle of a sunny day)? Low beam only. I could not shut them off and had to pull the fuse...there was mouse droppings and a nest on the fuse block. I got home and blew off the fuse block with air and inserted the fuses and it was fine. 4 days later I came out from work and the truck was dead...lights must have stayed on. Buddy gave the truck a jump and lights were indeed staying on even after attempting to turn off manually at the switch. Pulled the fuses, drove home re-inserted and took it to a shop...off course it would not do it again for him and he could find nothing wrong?
Drove to work 3 days later and lights did not shut off and I eventually pulled the fuses...all occurred during the daytime. Blower motor also stopped working and ABS light came on. ABS has since gone off next time I used the truck.
Took it to the dealer and off course it is fine they say and it also needs a new blower motor; resistor tests fine they claim. Now after I pay them for the diagnostics (99.95 for BCM diag. & 39.99 for Blower Diag.) I am sure it will do this again and I may not catch it before the battery is dead...
My only thought is to clean the fuse block with a mild acid; lemon juice perhaps) after unhooking the battery? and check the DRL & HDLMP relays?
Any suggestions besides buy a Ford?
Thanks

Old 10-06-2011, 11:00 PM
TruckForum Addict

Well first off, don't buy a ford. Second, the mouse nest worries me. I'm thinking that there's some wires that would have gotten eaten through by the mouse(mice?)

I'm thinking that they've been underneath the fuse block, and are eating wires. The ABS light worries me the most. I wouldn't pay for the blower motor until you've done some exploring.

If you can get at the blower motor, run an ohm meter on the leads of the motor. If you get a resistance reading, then chances are that your blower motor is fine. If not, or it's extremely high, then it could be bad.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:27 AM

Thanks,
I was away all weekend and have yet to get into the diagnosis. The problem did come back again and once again it was 4 days later. Picked up the truck from the dealer on Thurdsay eve and Sunday morning the DRL did not shut off, pulled the fuse & fuse is currently out. I will hopefully get a chance to look this weekend.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:47 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Does your truck have a setting for how long to keep the light on after exit. Our 2003 Tahoe does and I wonder if it is something in that setting has something to do with it.