Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Heater Core lines pressure and return lines

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 01:50 AM
Default Heater Core lines pressure and return lines

Driving to work today i pull into the parking lot and when i shut it off steam came flying out of hte hood by the windshield passenger side. At first i thought fire, then realized it was steam. Popped the hood and more steam, radiator fluid. The passenger side around the rear was soaked and steaming away quickly. I noticed a black rubber hose was not attached to anything and grabbed it thinking it just came undone. I saw that It attached to the fire wall where two lines where coming out. Then I noticed the broken plastic fitting inside the hose and the other half still on the line. I can't get it off the line without breaking it which isn't a problem, but how do i get the new one one?

Old 10-24-2008, 05:50 AM
Default RE: Heater Core lines pressure and return lines

you need a special tool to remove the plastic quick-connect..that or CAREFULLY saw it off..warning though,if ya saw into the metal heater tube,its about a 600$ rep[air...the new one just snaps on...do both of em..white and black

Old 10-25-2008, 09:06 AM

It would be nice if you would tell us what the maker andpart numberof the tool used was. I had been thinking about this problem and if you had a soldering gun, like a Weller pistol type you MIGHT be able to use a blade tip and melt through the parts in several places instead of risking damage to the tubes by cutting them off. I realize that the adapters maybe made of a hi-temp nylon but I think you should still be able to MELT through them in three or so places to remove them. Just a thought......[sm=shootshoot.gif]

Old 10-25-2008, 09:33 AM

1.) Go to the dealer and buy the new hose WITH the plastic fitting and clamps. It's cheaper than buying just the fitting. Go figure.

2.) Go to any auto parts store and buy a cheapy line removal kit. Looks like this:

It slides in from the back and releases the prongs holding the broken piece on there. Takes some elbow grease to get it in but it will go.

3.) The new one just slides on in its place. Clamp the other end and you're good to go.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:51 AM

Thanks DamnYankee for the pic, just when I thought I found a use for my light saber, been waiting to use it for 100 light years. Oh well I'll put it back in storage for use later (ha, ha) [sm=vader1.gif]