Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

How much does rust affect value & bargaining?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Default How much does rust affect value & bargaining?

I’ve been truck shopping over the past two weeks and have seen trucks in varying degrees of decay thanks to the salt used here in Minnesota. So I’m starting to wonder what other people think, and how much bargaining power does this give the buyer?

As an example, one truck in particular I like is a 2000 Silverado that this little used car lot has priced at $5995. It has a 4.8L and 135K. It spent most of its life in a nearby county in the park service dept. I drove it for 30 minutes and it performed beautifully IMHO. I just couldn’t find a fault with it mechanically.

The body is another story. The rocker panels are rusted, the drivers side has a hole in it. The bottoms of the doors have the beginning of some rust. I think the corners were okay.

The box has obviously seen a lot of work in its years with the county. The exterior paint is scratched badly, and the inside is, well see for yourself.

I like using Edmunds appraisals as a more realistic idea of what to go by, and their dealer retail ‘rough’ condition shows $4036 while ‘average’ comes out to $4820. From what you see, what category does this truck fall into?

I plan on making a low ball offer on this as the truck fits my needs, but I can just hear all the excuses about how the rust isn’t anything to worry about even now and that I'm crazy!Name:  IMG_2772.jpg
Views: 1523
Size:  58.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2779.jpg
Views: 1480
Size:  51.4 KBName:  IMG_2774.jpg
Views: 1503
Size:  38.8 KBName:  IMG_2769.jpg
Views: 1466
Size:  55.3 KBName:  IMG_2757.jpg
Views: 1495
Size:  68.7 KBName:  IMG_2766.jpg
Views: 1452
Size:  31.3 KBI’d appreciate any views on rust in general and how it can figure in to dealing with the dealers. TIA everyone!

Old 08-21-2009, 09:29 PM
Administrator

I'd stay away man, My truck is 17 years old and is in a helluva lot better condition and was half as much. If it starts to rust there is no stopping it. end of story

Old 08-22-2009, 08:14 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by 92chevysilvy
I'd stay away man, My truck is 17 years old and is in a helluva lot better condition and was half as much. If it starts to rust there is no stopping it. end of story

I totally agree! That truck is in really bad shape for a 2000. Why don't you get on eBay or craigslist and search for trucks in some states that don't have that issue. I am from Florida and now live in South Carolina and we don't have that issue here. I would rather pay a little for shipping or make a weekend run to get a truck than have to have a rusty truck. It still blows my mind that there are so many states that put salt down knowing it destroys the vehicles that are driven there. I am in the business so if you need any help let me know. I am at different auctions 4 days a week and will let you know that trucks with that kind of rust occasionally make it down here, but sell for next to nothing. That truck here would probably sell for around $2500 - $3000 if it runs perfect. Good Luck!

Old 08-24-2009, 08:01 AM
Beginner

We see that sort of thing here in NE as well but not quite so bad. Where I live we get days above freezing fairly regularly in Winter and I break out the hose and warm water as soon as it hits 33*F. Regular washing and thoroughly cleaning the vehicle will keep that from happening.

Before I purchased my 04 1500 I drove out to upstate NY to look at a very nice 03 2500HD Dmax that was perfect except for the same rust you see on your potential truck. I came pretty close as I wanted the Dmax badly but the rust was a deal breaker.

It all depends on what you can live with. Are you better at mechanical work or bodywork? My bodyman could fix the rust on that truck or the Dmax I looked at for $2K-$3K but would it be worth it? Not likely. If the truck was perfect but had a blown engine would you consider it? If you can fix the rust yourself or don't expect to own the truck forever then maybe you can deal with it.

It is cheaper to buy a Southwest Airlines ticket to Austin, TX or any other large Southern city, buy a rust free truck and drive it home. The truck will be the same price and the travel costs will assure its rust free.

RT