Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

How much fluid does Transmission hold

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 09:03 PM
Default How much fluid does Transmission hold

In a 2000 1500 2wd, I've been told 6qt, is that right? and how easy is it to change the fluid/filter... thanks!

Old 12-10-2006, 09:52 PM
Default RE: How much fluid does Transmission hold

This all depends on if you have a reg. or deep oil pan. You need about 4 qt. for the regular one, but I dont know for the deep one. I just relpaced my filter yesterday, and I bought the deep pan filter, and needed the thin one. It was not really that hard to do, just a pain in the butt. Its a messy job, so have somthing LARGE to drain the oil into. Some how my pan drain plug was stripped, so it was messy for me. First step is to drain pan through the plug. then take off bolts on one side(front or back). Then, Loosen the bolts on the other side, let drain for a min. Then, take all bolts off. Here was the hard part. There is a backet that holds your shifter cable to the tranny that gets in the way of the pan dropping out, it has an alan wrench head on it(two of them). I did not have the right one, so i pryed the bracket over with a cresent. Then just let it drop out. Clean pan lip and get all dirt out of pan. Use some sort of thick greese to hold new gasket onto pan lip. There is a collar that comes with the new kit. Mine old one got stuck in the tranny, so i just used it instead of the old one that was in there. After that pry that braket over again to fit it in there, make sure on to rip gasket, and tighten all the oil pan screws WITH HANDS!! if you over tighten , it will mess up. So just snug them up with a quarter or half in. socket and call it good. After that find ur tranny dipstick, and slowly add 4 qts of oil. You will not be able to check how muck is in it for a day or so until the oil runs out of the dipstick tube. Shift into all gears(r n 1 2 3 etc) and then drive through all gears. It should not leak, but check anyway. If it does its the gasket. I am 17 years old, and had very little trouble doing this with my younger bother, so good luck. Hope this was helpful.

Old 12-10-2006, 09:56 PM

just want to clear my bad typing up: "be sure NOT to rip the gasket"
"check how MUCH is in it..."
and one last tip, use funnel to add the oil, trust me on that one.

Old 12-11-2006, 12:25 AM

It depends on whether it is auto or manual. If it is auto I think it is more than 6 quarts. If you just change the filter you are only going to get the fluid that is in the tranny at that time. I don't think this will clear all the lines and oil cooler. If manual would be 4-6 quarts depending on the tranny. If auto best way to clean is take to local shop and have them pump it out (jiffy lube or the sort). This way it cycles out 15 quarts (I think) through the entire system. Really does a good job. It costs about $75 but it is worth it. I also like to do things myself, but this is better and faster than cn be done at home. This way almost all the fluid is removed and new fluid put in. Also it is done while truck is running and lets tranny push the fluid out.

Old 12-12-2006, 11:44 PM

damn, chevy got into detail...good job!

Old 12-13-2006, 08:11 PM

chev,
I am pretty sure for the 4l60e from dry, and the torque converter the tranny holds a little over 11 quarts ( not even 11 and a half) Justt a fluid and filter change is 5 quarts for the 4l60e and 4l65e. Hoped this helped

Old 12-14-2006, 12:49 AM

Yea, It does hold about 11, but I just drained the pan because I am too cheap to pay to get it all pumped out. Thats why I did it myself...but if u get it drained then yea...