Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

How Much Leeway For Oil Level?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 09:26 AM
Default How Much Leeway For Oil Level?

Hi All!
I have a 2000 Sierra with a 6.0 liter engine. The owner's manual calls for 6 quarts of motor oil. In the past, I've had the oil changed at a local mechanic's shop & at the dealership. When the technicians are finished sometimes the oil level is below the "Full" mark & sometimes it is at the mark.

I've read that some of these trucks' dip sticks don't read properly or are the wrong ones, so I asked at a dealership. The person verified that I have the correct stick and also said they are known to read wrong, but had no idea where it's supposed to read. He said they add 6 quarts & are done.

This week, I changed my oil & filter myself. I got the engine hot & let drain for about 4 hours with the filter off (while I cleaned &/or replaced Zerk fittings). I even raised the front a bit to be sure the oil was drained completely & nothing dripped from the drain or filter connection.

I installed 6 quarts without spilling any oil. After running it for a few minutes and then letting it sit overnight with the truck level, the oil level is below the top of the dip stick's cross hatched section (the "Full" mark).
The oil level exactly 47 mm from the end of the dip stick. Full is 60mm from the end. (Photo Attached) That indicates the oil level is ca. 78% of the way to the 'Full' mark.

Do any of you know where the oil level is really supposed to be on this stick?
If I add oil to bring it to the "Full" mark, am I going to damage the engine? (It looks like 7 ounces will bring it to 'Full".)
If I leave it at 6 quarts, will that damage the engine?

Thanks for your advice! I appreciate the guidance.

Enjoy Today,
Paul

Attached Thumbnails How Much Leeway For Oil Level?-oil-level-sierra-6-quarts.jpg  
Old 02-23-2017, 06:32 AM
TruckForum Addict

I wouldn't even think twice about adding the necessary oil to satisfy the dipstick reading. I've seen people with as much as two extra quarts of oil in their engine (yes, that's 8 quarts) and not experience any issues.

So if it were mine, and I was changing the oil myself. I would buy 6 quarts and call it a Tuesday. If I was getting my oil changed, or was at the shop using their bulk oil which can add fractions of quarts easily, then I would top it off.

Either way, I wouldn't concern myself. If a topped off dipstick makes you feel good, then top 'er off

Old 02-23-2017, 08:03 AM

Thanks very much for your help & advice NullHead. I appreciate the words of wisdom.

I'll leave it at 6 quarts. The engine uses a just tiny bit of oil between changes, sometimes none, so it isn't likely I'll be buying another quart before the next change.

I marked the dip stick with a punched line where 6 quart filled to, so I'll have a reference to check the level against.

Ive got one more quick question, if that's OK:
There are 11 zerk fittings on the front end, correct? I found none on the 4x4 drive shaft or u-joints, but 11 in the front.

Driver:
Upper & Lower Ball Joints,
Outer Tie Rod End,
Inner Tie Rod End,
Pittman Arm.

Passenger:
Upper & Lower Ball Joints,
Outer Tie Rod End,
Inner Tie Rod End,
Idler Arm and
Upper End of Idler Arm Bracket (I don't know if that's the proper name for the part. It is the tall, vertical cylinder shaped item that connects to the idler arm. The zerk fitting faces sideways near top)
This one & the one on the idler arm looked like they have not been greased for ages. The zerk fitting were rusty & the parts dry, so I replaced the zerk fittings (and then thought of a getting 90 degree for the idler arm. Next time, I suppose....)

It's nice to have warm weather around here in February so we can get outside and bond with our trucks. Today's adventure is power steering fluid.

Thanks Again For Your Help & Enjoy This Day!
Paul

Old 02-24-2017, 05:49 AM
TruckForum Addict

Yeah that sounds about right. They dont put grease fittings in driveshafts or u-joints anymore from the factory. Probably because they were rarely serviced or greased. Heck, the suspension grease fittings are rarely serviced these days.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:18 PM

Thanks Nullhead!
Based on what I found on my truck, you're spot-on with you comment about suspension fittings not being serviced.
Enjoy Today,
Paul