Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Leveling kit opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 06:14 PM
Default Leveling kit opinions...

Ok this is the 4th time I've tried to post this. Let's try it again.

I'm going to be putting a leveling kit on my 03 Silverado. One shop that I called will not install them because of the extra wear on the CVs and tie-rods. Another shop has told me $350 out the door. That includes new Ford keys, Skyjacker rear blocks, Skyjacker front shocks, and labor. Does that sound reasonable? I really want to get this done but I don't want to f-up my front end either. My off roading consists of driving on the beach and getting in some mud/woods during deer season. Am I safe?

Also, I'm running BFG AT 265/75r/16s and I'm going to step up to 285s for sure but I'm wondering if I can get 295s on it with the leveling kit. Opinions? I don't mind doing some trimming but I don't want to go overboard.

So whatcha think?

Old 06-17-2008, 06:21 PM
Default RE: Leveling kit opinions...

I did it, If you can't afford a full on lift kit, tires, and rims all at once it's really your only option aside froma body lift. You will loose a considerable amount of front end travel, and I would recommend 3" blocks.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:24 PM

I would be getting 3 inches in the front and 1 in the rear. Wow that doesn't sound good at all!!

Old 06-17-2008, 06:38 PM

Well that price sounds pretty good to me for all of that. I as well did this to mine and lost a lot of the ride quality, but then again I havent forked over the money to do new shocks yet. The general rule is that the more you crank the torsion bars the worse your ride, and the bigger the blocks the more you have to crank the t-bars. I think if you did 1" in the back 3" would be too much in the front. Its your call tho.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:56 PM

That's what I'm afraid of. I don't want to sacrifice ride quality. How come some of the leveling kits say that they do not sacrifice ride quality when the keys are replaced? I think I'm starting to confuse myself.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:13 PM

I did the keys and I doesnt help that much even if it says it does. Anything that says otherwise is not telling the truth, unless there is something i dont know. But I am speaking from experience.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:26 PM

So even with new keys the torsion bars still have to be cranked?

I should be safe though if I don't go up to 3". If I stick to 2" max with the new keys with the block in the back too I should be ok and look good?

Old 06-18-2008, 12:48 AM

They shouldnt be cranked too far, thats what the keys are for. You can just crank your stock ones and get the same cosmetic affect but say goodbye to any ride quality. Are you doing it yourself? It's a pretty extensive job so be sure you know your stuff.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:57 AM

No I'm not gonna do it myself. See my first post. I'm not even going to attempt it!

Will the 295/75r/16's fit after I get the leveling kit installed?

Old 06-20-2008, 03:44 PM

I have a 2 inch front leveling kit on my truck, nothing on the rear. It took away the front slant and allowed 285- 65- 18 tires. I was told 305- 55- 18 would fit, but I thought that would be pushing it. It looks and rides good.

Quick Reply: Leveling kit opinions...