Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Message Center not working?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 02:21 PM
Thumbs up Message Center not working?

Hello, I purchased a 2000 Silverado 1500 5.3L 2wd about 4 weeks ago and believe the Message Center is not working (Hopefully not unplugged by the seller for some horrible reason). Here is what leeds me to believe this:

I was reading throught the manual about the security system and it said that if there is a security system the message center will flash "SECURITY" after turning off the ignition and opening the door to remind you to activate your security system by locking the door with the power door lock button or the key-fob. This message does not appear in my Message Center. I decided to try it anyway. I rolled down the window, shut the door, locked it with the key-fob, waited 10 seconds, reached in and unlocked the door, opened the door, and then my horn started honking and my lights started blinking... I have a factory alarm.

So my Message Center does not display the message that the manual said it would and I have not seen the Message Center do anything at any time for that matter. Is there a way to trigger a message (any message) to see if the message center is operable before I tear out my gauge cluster?

Old 10-06-2010, 10:37 PM

After reading through the manual it is clear that the Message Center is not working. After looking through a service manual it looks like the instrument panel is not serviceable. So either the Message Center is bad and I need a new cluster or it was somehow defeated. Does anyone know how to defeat the Message Center? If there is a wire or plug somewhere... I want to check to see if it was defeated somehow before buying a new cluster. Or... If anyone with my truck wants to pop out there cluster and pop mine in to test it... Any takers? ...Yeah, I figured that.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:55 AM

I'm not aware of a way to defeat the message center. I believe it's part of the circuit board. You could take the cluster out and open it up to look inside.

Its easy - remove the bezel and four screws holding the cluster. She'll pop right out after disconnecting the wire harness near the top of the cluster on the back side. The back cover of the cluster pops off where you'll have access to the circuit board. But I don't know if all this will do you much good or not. It sounds like you are in need of a new cluster.

If you're near Spokane, WA, I'd help you give the swap a try.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by rmck490
I'm not aware of a way to defeat the message center. I believe it's part of the circuit board. You could take the cluster out and open it up to look inside.

Its easy - remove the bezel and four screws holding the cluster. She'll pop right out after disconnecting the wire harness near the top of the cluster on the back side. The back cover of the cluster pops off where you'll have access to the circuit board. But I don't know if all this will do you much good or not. It sounds like you are in need of a new cluster.

If you're near Spokane, WA, I'd help you give the swap a try.
Thank you for the offer. You are a bit further than I would like to drive from Sacramento, CA. I am planning on poping it out today and pulling it apart to see if there is possibly a mini ribbon cable or something. If not, I saw some used ones on eBay for around $50. I just wanted to see if there was an easy way to defeat it pre cluster before replacing it to find out that all I needed to do was plug a connector or fuse back in somewhere. My guess is that it was defeated because the previous owner was tired of seeing the LOW FUEL light as the fuel level sending unit is sticking.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Look to see if someone just put tape or something to cover it. I bought a truck like that and it was covered to hide a "Service 4WD" message that the previous owner did not want to repair. Luckily for me I was able to just resolder the switch and it fixed it.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:59 PM

After pulling it out and apart (10 minutes) it does not look like there is a way to defeat the message center from within the cluster (Unless you're an electronics guru). I guess I will buy one and keep my fingers crossed that it was not somehow defeated pre-cluster.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:19 PM

When you swap out the old for the new, you will need to have the mileage and engine hours reprogrammed into the new cluster. To get the hours, turn the key off, press and hold the trip button for about four seconds, and the number of hours the engine has on it will be displayed.

Sorry it wasn't as simply as it could be.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by rmck490
When you swap out the old for the new, you will need to have the mileage and engine hours reprogrammed into the new cluster. To get the hours, turn the key off, press and hold the trip button for about four seconds, and the number of hours the engine has on it will be displayed.

Sorry it wasn't as simply as it could be.
Is that just to get the hours, or is that also the procedure for programming the "new" cluster? ...Or would I need to take it into a GM service center for the reprogram?

Old 10-08-2010, 09:04 PM

The procedure I gave will only show you the engine hours stored in the cluster's memory. You can't reprogram the cluster memory without the right tools. The dealer can do it with their equipment but they are probably going to want to install the replacement cluster themselves and do the programming. They're just safegaurding their interests in certifying that the mileage they program to the memory chip is the actual miles they verify from the old cluster.

I was only giving you this information because you had stated you were looking on eBay at one. I'd watch out there. Some sellers offer a complete service (including reprogramming) but at a higher price. Others don't so that's sometimes why they are cheaper. The seller's listing will usually tell you if that's part of the service for a cluster from them. They'll probably have you fill out some paperwork stating you are certifying the mileage and to hold them harmless from someone trying to turn-back their mileage. The cheaper ones are probably out of a truck with a couple 100K on them. That high mileage is stored in the cluster memory. If you put one of them in and don't reprogram the mileage, you'll take the hit if you try to resell it.

Anyways, if you replace the cluster, the new one will need the current mileage on your truck unless you don't care.

Good luck and I hope this helped clarify things a little better.