Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

2010 Silverado: How to make fog lights automatically turn on?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 11:04 PM
Beginner
Default 2010 Silverado: How to make fog lights automatically turn on?

I would like my fog lights to always be on when my lights are on. Honestly I feel like this is a software configuration, so I'd like to avoid any rewiring if possible. I don't know anything at all about cars/trucks or electronics, I simply was hoping for a solution a dummy could use.

My truck is a 2010 Chevy Silverado 1500 ext. cab. My fog lights will always be off when I start my truck. I have to manually turn them on by pressing a button next to my headlamp controls. When my lights are on (either via auto setting or manually turning them on), my fog lights should automatically turn on with them.

What are my options here? Thanks.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by void.pointer
I would like my fog lights to always be on when my lights are on. Honestly I feel like this is a software configuration, so I'd like to avoid any rewiring if possible. I don't know anything at all about cars/trucks or electronics, I simply was hoping for a solution a dummy could use.

My truck is a 2010 Chevy Silverado 1500 ext. cab. My fog lights will always be off when I start my truck. I have to manually turn them on by pressing a button next to my headlamp controls. When my lights are on (either via auto setting or manually turning them on), my fog lights should automatically turn on with them.

What are my options here? Thanks.
Have you thought about speaking to a dealer to discuss this topic further?
Laura
GM Customer Service

Old 03-14-2011, 11:58 AM
Beginner

Originally Posted by GM Customer Service
Have you thought about speaking to a dealer to discuss this topic further?
Laura
GM Customer Service
No, I wasn't aware they would be able to assist me with this. Usually any inquiries regarding after-market modifications are responded to by saying they can't help.

I'll contact my local dealership and see what they can do.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:53 PM

do you have the automatic headlights that come on when it gets dark? maybe theres a way to wire the + lead from your foggers to the headlamps?

Old 03-14-2011, 05:55 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Yeah I would just pull the switch and connect the fog light + wire to the signal wire for the headlights.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:12 PM
Beginner

Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock
Yeah I would just pull the switch and connect the fog light + wire to the signal wire for the headlights.
I don't really know how to do this. Is it easy? Are there easy to follow step-by-step instructions?

Old 03-15-2011, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by void.pointer
No, I wasn't aware they would be able to assist me with this. Usually any inquiries regarding after-market modifications are responded to by saying they can't help.

I'll contact my local dealership and see what they can do.
Please keep me updated on your progress!

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service

Old 03-15-2011, 09:04 AM
Beginner

Originally Posted by GM Customer Service
Please keep me updated on your progress!

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service
Here is a direct quote from an email I got from a service rep at my local GM dealership:

Unfortunately, the fog lights cannot be set to come on with the headlights. The switch is our culprit, it’s only a one way switch, so you’re going to have to press it every time you want the fog lights on, and it they will only work if the headlights are on. There isn’t an alternative from GM. I wish I had better news.

Russ Edmison
Service Consultant
(214)472-6882
redmison@stonebriarchevrolet.com
So it seems I will have to make the modification myself. Can someone provide a tutorial on how to rewire the fog lights?

Old 03-15-2011, 01:13 PM

Remove the fog light switch and connect a relay. There will be 4 leads to said relay. One to the battery to draw direct power from there, a second as a a ground, a third to the positive leads of both foglights and lastly the signal source- ie, the positive lead for the low beams, or parking lights.

When the relay senses the signal of the lowbeams/parking light, it sends a low vlotage signal to the relay which closes the circuit, and turns on the foglights. The higher current draw demanded by the turning on of the foglights will come directly from the battery. Also, put a fuse inline close to where you connect to the battery.

Doing it this way rather than splicing in with just the lowbeams will ensure not overloading the lowbeam circuit and blowing fuses, and it will allow all four lights to operate at full strength. If not, all four lights will be dimmer, than wired seperately.

Now with that being said, I don't know for sure that you won't get a bulb out indicator on the Instrument panel, as you would if a headlight bulb burnt out.
GM has these BCM (Body Control Modules) that monitor everything electronic.

Good Luck,
Brian