Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

My 2011 GMC Sierra...

Old 08-18-2013, 04:10 AM
Default My 2011 GMC Sierra...

Does some weird ****...first of all, and i have posted about this before, that the radio changes channels by itself, I am serious, you can be listening to cnn and it will change to like 102.3, it is very random, I notice that sometimes it will do it when I hit the garage door opener that is built into the truck it will change stations, but not always, I have been just driving around and it will just change stations by itself, there must be a gost in the the machine, also today when I was pulling in my driveway, and I have noticed this before, the tires will squeal, I think it Is the front tire, so I tried going from 2wd to 4wd to auto to 4 wd low range, and noticed a clunk, I thought that maybe something was messed up in the transfer case or transmission, after the clunk everything seemed to be alright, also the memory for the seats, when I had it set the seat would go ok, but the drivers side mirror would go all the way in, I tried unhooking the battery, still did it, then I adjusted the drivers mirror pushing on it with my finger and realized that the only way it would go all the way out was when I pushed the button to adjust the mirror and held the mirror with my finger it would go all the way out, like if you put the seat back all the way you could not adjust the mirror all the way out unless you pushed on it with you hand, also another thing is one day and only once, I tried to put the passenger side window down from the drivers side and it wouldn’t work, it would not go down, after shutting the truck off and the next day it worked OK, this is some weird **** and I wonder if there is an electrical problem, it sure seems like it.
I have a 1999 GMC sierra with a 106,000. Miles on it and have never had any of these weird electrical problems, should I just get rid of it, trade for a new one? The techs at the dealer can’t recreate the problem, also it fouled a plug at 12,000 miles and they also had to clean all the injectors, said they were all carboned up. Has anyone seen this kind of ****?

Last edited by KennyB; 08-18-2013 at 04:14 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:53 AM
Administrator

I can honesty say I have NEVER heard of one vehicle having so many Gremlins in it other then an early model Cadillac and it's only a 2011 !!!
I wouldn't normally say this... but unload it. I'm guessing this is only the beginning of a huge money pit as the truck gets older

Some of those symptoms are almost funny... I have never heard of a radio changing station by itself other then the movie "Christian"

I hope nothing bad happen if you try to trade it in.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:16 PM
TruckForum Addict

It's most likely broken wires in the door jamb. I would suggest you take it in a leave it with them for a while and just gen a rental car from them. The mirror, window, and seat issue are all tied in at the DDM (Driver's door module). It controls your power mirrors, windows and seat. It sounds like you've got some bad wires, or the DDM needs an update, or the module its self is malfunctioning.

As for the transfer case, that's actually pretty normal for a 4x4 to make a clunk when it engages. That's the front axle lockin sleeve working to tie the front axle in when the differential starts getting power from the transfer case.

Also, GM has a bulletin out for your radio problems talking about inadvertently pushing the steering wheel controls when turning the wheel causing some spooky behavior in your volume and radio stations.
#08-08-44-028A: Information on Inadvertent Steering Wheel Control (SWC) Button Press Causing Radio Anomalies - (Apr 11, 2012)
Subject: Information On Inadvertent Steering Wheel Control (SWC) Button Press Causing Radio Anomalies

Models: 2013 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Trucks
All Vehicles with Steering Wheel Controls

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-08-44-028 (Section 08 – Body and Accessories).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being issued to provide a recommendation for vehicles with a customer concern of the radio station tuning changing by itself, volume changing by itself, radio changing by itself or radio muting or going silent when driving and turning the steering wheel.

The switches on the right hand side of the steering wheel are easily pressed and may inadvertently be pressed when turning the steering wheel.

These concerns may be affected by the location of the steering wheel controls.

Recommendation
Do Not Replace The Radio
 1. Please determine that the switch controls on the steering wheel are functioning correctly.
 2. Ask the customer if their hand was in close proximity to the steering wheel controls when the condition happened. Explain to the customer that bumping the controls would have caused this undesired action. Explain to the customer the proper use and function of the steering wheel controls.
So try and pay attention to see when your radio issues happen. Maybe the buttons are being pressed accidentally, which is why the technicians aren't getting it to happen. The window, mirror and seat issue though are all most likely being caused by wires or a bad module in your driver's door.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by KennyB
Does some weird ****...first of all, and i have posted about this before, that the radio changes channels by itself, I am serious, you can be listening to cnn and it will change to like 102.3, it is very random, I notice that sometimes it will do it when I hit the garage door opener that is built into the truck it will change stations, but not always, I have been just driving around and it will just change stations by itself, there must be a gost in the the machine, also today when I was pulling in my driveway, and I have noticed this before, the tires will squeal, I think it Is the front tire, so I tried going from 2wd to 4wd to auto to 4 wd low range, and noticed a clunk, I thought that maybe something was messed up in the transfer case or transmission, after the clunk everything seemed to be alright, also the memory for the seats, when I had it set the seat would go ok, but the drivers side mirror would go all the way in, I tried unhooking the battery, still did it, then I adjusted the drivers mirror pushing on it with my finger and realized that the only way it would go all the way out was when I pushed the button to adjust the mirror and held the mirror with my finger it would go all the way out, like if you put the seat back all the way you could not adjust the mirror all the way out unless you pushed on it with you hand, also another thing is one day and only once, I tried to put the passenger side window down from the drivers side and it wouldn’t work, it would not go down, after shutting the truck off and the next day it worked OK, this is some weird **** and I wonder if there is an electrical problem, it sure seems like it.
I have a 1999 GMC sierra with a 106,000. Miles on it and have never had any of these weird electrical problems, should I just get rid of it, trade for a new one? The techs at the dealer can’t recreate the problem, also it fouled a plug at 12,000 miles and they also had to clean all the injectors, said they were all carboned up. Has anyone seen this kind of ****?
Oh no! I am deeply sorry to hear that you are experiencing some vehicle concerns. I would like to learn more about your vehicle issues and look into this for you. Private message me if I can be of any assistance.

Sincerely,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

Old 09-01-2013, 08:35 PM

This is not the case, the radio will jump from a channel on favorite 1 to a channel on favorite 2, you can’t do this with the buttons on the wheel, I have tried it, it goes only to the next preset station.