Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

My first pick-me-up! 1995 1500k, extended cab. Noob & not-so-noob questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 02:12 PM
Beginner
Talking My first pick-me-up! 1995 1500k, extended cab. Noob & not-so-noob questions.

Hi all,

I just got my first pickup! Never needed one before, but couldn't pass this one up. All it needed to pass inspection was the rockers fixed (did a quick expanding foam/bondo/underbody spray fix, plan on getting replacement rockers down the line) and a bulb. Runs out really well considering it's age and miles (previous owner took good care of it). Frame is rust free except for a bit near the back. Only thing not working is the a/c (haven't looked at it yet).

It's a 1995 1500k a/t extended cab w/215k miles. Don't know where to check which size motor it has yet.

I plan to take care of this truck (be green, right? Reduce, recycle re-use, lol!) and use it for a good long time. I do 95% of my own mechanical work (I stop at jobs I judge to be beyond my capabilities).

Here's what I'm planning to do immediately:

It will need front brakes and rotors soon (done lots of these on other vehicles, but maybe there's something 'special' about this series 1500).

Needs oil/filter changed (no jack needed, whoo-hoo!).

Rear diff seal is leaking a bit, will top off with appropriate gear oil, and replace gasket when I have time.

Needs the transmission oil changed (very dirty, but doesn't smell burnt), I've done this on other vehicles:

- Drop trans pan, clean (or replace filter), clean pan, replace pan/gasket, fill to spec, disconnect trans output line, run a hose from that to a bucket.

- Start vehicle, pump out 1 quart, stop, fill one quart, repeat until fluid is clear.

- Once clear, start vehicle, and have a very trusted helper stand on the brake, put vehicle in reverse and pump out the torque converter until fluid is clear.

- but again, maybe there's something 'special' about this truck.

So, some questions:

- Engine oil weight, trans oil type, gear oil weight, etc.

- Top trans line entering radiator is typically the discharge line from the a/t. Same for this truck?

- Expected lifespan of trans & motor if well maintained.

- Common problems to expect given the age, mileage and this particular series.

One other thing:

- Steering has a lot of play in it. Mechanic who did the state safety inspection said the tie rods & pitman arm were fine. I've asked around and was told it's probably the steering box, which can be adjusted.

I am not a fan of our "throw away" society, or the general disrespect people have for old but perfectly servicable machines.

Many thanks in advance,

Dave in New Hampshire

Old 07-26-2015, 06:35 PM

Welcome Dave
Generally the GMT400 trucks (88-98) use 5w-30 oil. Might want to think about high mileage oil as you are getting up there.

As for the steering, these trucks seem to be that way...if your mechanic was OK with it, I am sure its fine to drive.

If you are not burning oil and the trans is working well, I would think you are good to go

Old 07-27-2015, 06:14 AM
Beginner

Thanks pancho!

It hesitates just a tiny bit off throttle, I'm going to do a vacuum line seafoam/water intake clean on it, and after that change oil (always do seafoam immediately before an oil change IMO), clean/gap plugs and install a crankcase blowby catch-can. Shouldn't have to clean it after that for a very long time.

Trans oil is very dirty but not burnt smelling. Planning on dropping the pan, cleaning/replacing filter, and then doing a trans flush (fill up the pan to proper level, disconnect the line in from the radiator, start motor, replace fluid via dipstick tube as fluid is pumped out, have helper put truck in gear and stand on brake, flush torque converter, and once clean fluid is being pumped, turn off, button up, check level and drive. Done this on other vehicles with great success.).

The leftover oil can be recycled by mixing with a bit of kerosene or diesel with clean motor oil and spraying it on the underbody to protect from rust (trans oil has no blowby contamination, so it's not even environmentally unfriendly as used motor oil is).

I have been told that properly maintained, this drivetrain (motor and trans) can go to 300k miles. Does that sound accurate to you?

Also, the truck only seems to have play in the steering at highway speed. Since the tie rods and pitman arms are OK, I suspect the steering box needs adjusted. Thoughts?

Many thanks!

Dave

Last edited by dnarby; 07-27-2015 at 06:16 AM. Reason: forgot sumpthin'