Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

1997 Z-71 Vortec Fuel issues PLEASE HELP

Old 05-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Default 1997 Z-71 Vortec Fuel issues PLEASE HELP

When i am pulling any weight other than the weight of my truck sometimes (and i mean only sometimes) i lose all power when i push on gas. when i let off gas just a bit i get some power until eventually i completely run out of power. If i pull over shut it off and let it sit for 5 minutes or so i start it up and take off with full power just to have it happen few miles down the road.Her is a list of money iu have put into it the last few years

Fuel Pump 20,000 miles ago (4 in last 5 years)
Intake manifold 3,000 miles ago
Fuel Filter 3,000 miles ago
Brand new tranny 75,000 miles ago

I have benn told it could be an injector issue, Throttle Positioning Switch, PLEASE HELP

Old 05-10-2009, 11:43 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

could be an injector or TPS....but my gut tells me its the tranny getting hot....my 97 burban did the same thing a few weeks ago untill it finnally just puked all the fluid all over the highway.....a bad TPS or injector SHOULD throw a code but the tranny getting hot and going into "limp" mode will not throw a code (atleast not on the SES light) I would recomend visiting a tranny shop

Old 05-19-2009, 12:38 PM

would a hot tranny flip the Service Engine Light on? and before my last trip i had the tranny serviced with new filter new oil and they said everything seems to look great?????????? I am pulling in 3rd gear not overdrive. if it is a hot tranny what needs to be done to it to fix the problem? Thank you so much for your help

Old 05-19-2009, 02:45 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Here is a way to check your TPS. It will also show you on other videos how to check your MAF sensor. Start with those. The MAP, MAF, TPS, and IAC all work together. When one starts to go out, it can affect another. When my MAF sensor went out, it also took my TPS out too. But it never threw a code. I just couldn't start it like normal. I had to full throttle to start it then it ran rich and idled at 2000 rpm. So start testing sensors, then test fuel pressure.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:14 AM

I really appreciate the help and sorry to bug ya so much but goin on a long trip pullin my trailer next week and gota fix this prob.I took it to a guy who seems to know alot about chevys and the computer said it had MULTIPLE MISFIRES?? he says that really doesnt help him solve the problem?? bout a month ago i gave it a tune up plugs, cap,rotor but i didnt change the wires, could that be the problem??? although it was doing it before i tuned it up also. the other day it was laggin around town with no load behind it. first time it had done that. Now this is what blows my mind..... i was pedal to the floor the engine was revving up but i was going nowhere then i heard 1 loud CLANK so i let off the gas and never heard that noise again. Again i really appreciate the help don't know much about this stuff but really want to learn. Thank you

Old 05-20-2009, 11:30 AM

When my TPS went out, the transmission shifted wierd. Of course lack of power, it would hold the gears long then short. When I first got the truck, I descreened my MAF sensor to get more performance. Well it did perform better, but after a few days, my transmission started slippin. Within 24 hours it was gettin worse and worse. I would push the pedal and it would go a little, then bang and rpms would go up. Eventually it burned up the tranny. The only way to make sure ur self about the transmission is to drop the pan and look for metal shavings at the bottom of the pan and whatever fluid you drain from it before dropping it. Do that first to save you time before tryin to assume its the ignition on the motor or something else. A quick way to check your MAF sensor is to start the truck, pop the hood, and tap the sensor with a screwdriver or something. Tap dont bang. If you notice an idle change up or down, the sensor is bad. That sensor has a lot to do with how your engine performs and a big part in feeding data to the computer for transmission shifts. It just doesn't measure how much air is pulled into the motor, but it determines the load on the engine. As well as your other sensors.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:11 PM

The TPS is a good place to start..........If the TPS is bad then you have solved your problem.....have you checked your tranny fluid lately? Whats it look like? Is the truck still "peppy" with out a trailer? My gut still tells me its a tranny issue....but I hope its just a TPS

Old 05-23-2009, 10:53 AM

i just had the tranny serviced new filter new oil and they said so metal in the pan and everything looks great. And NO even without a trailer when i am climbing hills it bogs down and eventually i have no power and have to pull over shut it off for 5 minutes then it will go again for a few miles just to happen again?????

Old 05-23-2009, 11:00 AM

then I would say it is probably your TPS or on an off chance the rod that holds the "butterfly" plate on in the throttle body could be worn

Old 05-23-2009, 06:49 PM

How does it idle? Smooth or a little shaky? When you rev it up hard does it shake or sound likes it missing? Go to your tailpipe while it is idling and see if you notice a strong odor of either rotten eggs or if it is running rich. Running rich will be strong and eventually make your eyes burn. When is the last time you had the fuel filter changed? Check all of these and let us know. I can help you as much as I can but get some more info cuz I know it is bothering you bad for it to run like that. It would me!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1997 Z-71 Vortec Fuel issues PLEASE HELP