Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Need help determining if Silverado is right for me.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Default Need help determining if Silverado is right for me.

Hello all. I am not a Silverado or 1500 series owner yet but am considering buying one but need some information. I currently drive a compact extended cab truck and have two small children still in car seats. We are going to try for number three and need a bigger truck. I am looking for a 1500 with an extended cab. I need to know if a rear facing infant seat will fit in the rear with adequate room. Plus, how much room is there in the rear for the children as the get older? Can three children, say all under 100 lbs fit safely in the rear without running the front seats to the dash? It won't be for daily long distance use but something for picking the kids up at sitters or using in a jam when the wife has the mini van. I am looking for something in a 2003 or newer.

Thanks for any insight.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:37 PM

My friend and his wife just bought a crew cab(four door) '06 silverado. There baby rides in a forward facing car seat and let me just say I don't think you'll have any problems with three kids in car seats. but that's just my assumtion, you may want to go to a chevy dealership and look over one and give it a little test drive before you sinking your hard earned and highly needed cash into a new vehicle.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:17 AM

I have a 2000 ext-cab and my Niece and nephew both fit fine in there car seats. They are both in forward facing car seats. One time I did have the kids and my broth-in-law all in the back and he said it wasn't that bad. By the way he is 6 feet tall and about 275lbs and the kids are 5 and 8. I know 8 is pretty old for a car seat but my sister said they go by height not age.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:41 PM

I have 1 daughter who is 2 and a baby coming in may the base fits in there with the backward seat no problem. I have my daughter and my 2 nephews in my truck all the time. Its on 2003 extended cab

Old 03-09-2009, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Extended cabs work great until you are about 5'8" tall and are going on trips longer than a half hour. Extended cabs are great for little kids even though I dont like the looks of them

Old 03-10-2009, 04:39 PM
TruckForum Addict

Go with a crew cab. I like my extended cab, but a crew cab I feel is more beneficial. Main reason is you do not have to open your door to open the back door. I know I am not the only one saying that it gets old opening both doors when all you would really need to do is just open the 1 door.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:04 PM

Depends on whether you need the back seat space or the bed space more. I have carried three large men in the back seat of my extended cab Silverado. The rear seat back is too vertical to be comfortable for any long distance, but it will work in a pinch. The rear seat in a Crew Cab is obviously more roomy and comfortable, but I really needed the extra length in the bed and seldom carry passengers so the ex cab works best for me. Your needs may differ; if you don't need the bed length you'd probably be happier with the Crew Cab.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:54 AM
TruckForum Addict

True to the point. See everyone has a different opinion. Thanks Reverendbiker.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:08 PM

With the extended cab, whether that rear facing seat will fit comfortably depends on your height and how far back you have your seat. i had an '01 extended cab and with my and the wife's seats all the way back, the seat only fit in the middle of the rear and then just barely. Now have an '06 crew cab and it fits and works a lot better for all.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:58 PM

The extended cab should be fine. Unless both the people in the front are taller than 6'4" then it might be a problem since they would have the seats all the way back. I think the crew cabs don't look right and would rather have an extended cab. But the door opening does get in the way sometimes. I remember trying to get in the back of an extended cab in a parking lot with cars on each side. I had to open the passenger door, then open the rear door, then get in, then close the door, while the next person who needed in the back had to do that same procedure. With the direction the rear doors open on an extended cab, you will sometimes have to be creative. But you will get used to it pretty quick. Make sure the extended cab actually does have the doors that open in the rear. My truck only has two doors and I can say for a fact that it would be heck to put car seats in the back and try putting kids in without that extra door.

Quick Reply: Need help determining if Silverado is right for me.