Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Need help identifying a wiring harness

Old 02-17-2015, 01:29 AM
Beginner
Default Need help identifying a wiring harness

Hi all,

I discovered that a mouse had been nesting in and under the underhood driver side fuse block in my 2004 Silverado 2500HD. I've been trying to clean things up and track down a parasitic power drain. I pulled off the plastic casing that surrounds the fuse block and detached a couple of the power lines and wiring harnesses in order to get better access. I had thought I did a good job of marking everything that I took apart, however, when I went to put everything back together, there is one wiring harness that doesn't seem to plug into anything. This harness is normally under the casing and is attached to one of the little plastic pillars that the casing goes over.

I've spent a good deal of time looking for what this harness plugs into and I'm starting to wonder if it didn't plug into anything at this point. Maybe it powers an accessory that I don't have on my truck. Unfortunately, I didn't take enough pictures before I pulled things apart, so I can't confirm if it was plugged into anything or not. Attached is a picture of me holding the harness in question. As I said, it's attached to one of the little plastic pillars that the casing sits against and it's located next to power line going into the fuse block on the firewall side, not the front side.

Can anyone tell me what is supposed to plug into this? Like I said, at this point I'm wondering if this is just something for an accessory that I don't have.

Thanks,
Scott

Attached Thumbnails Need help identifying a wiring harness-wp_20150215_009.jpg  
Old 02-17-2015, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Since you cleaned and reassembled.... Have you tried starting your truck?
Are you missing anything electrically, ie: wipers, wiper fluid?

I'm thinking it could be an option your truck isn't equipped with and was lying out of the way and not plugged into anything, this is probably why you missed labeling it.

As for your "parasitic power drain" Your first test, Disconnect your battery and in 24 hrs use a multimeter to compare how many VDC and Amps are left in it.