Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

need more power

Old 07-14-2013, 08:15 AM
Beginner
Default need more power

I have a 2000 Silverado 2wd 1500 with 5.3, towing package, 3.73 gear, and 150k miles. I picked up a travel trailer, 4500lbs, and would like a little bit more power to pull it. In times past I would have the heads redone to restore the motor like new, as long as rings were fine. My question is on the newer trucks, is this a good idea or waste of time? Also what about the fuel injectors, can they be flushed or just replaced?

Old 07-14-2013, 08:02 PM
TruckForum Addict

Well I can't say for sure on the cylinder heads, but I know the injectors can most certainly be cleaned. The service can be done by your GM dealer or any reputable repair facilities. I know OTC makes a tool that can do the job, and I know that BG professional products also has a system for cleaning fuel system which is a three part system.

The BG system, which I am most familiar with, comes with one chemical you put into the gasoline which helps remove varnish from your fuel pump and lines, one which you run through the fuel rail and is a highly concentrated cleaner that breaks down the varninsh and deposits that live in the fuel injectors, and an upper intake cleaner that removes the oil that collects in the intake from the PCV system - this one is vaporized and sprayed right down your throttlebody. Afterwords, I usually like to clean the throttle body at the same time.

Now, your standard power adders apply just like for older engines. Headers, cat-back exhausts, high flow catalyitic converters, gears, camshafts. The 5.3L LS engine is an extremely popular one for hotrodders these days for their F-body Camaros and Firebirds. If you're looking for internal engine modifications that you can do, I'm sure lots of the things the hot rodders are doing will apply to your truck too. If you change your engine internally though, you will most likely need your computer re-tuned to handle the changes and keep your fuel ratios in check.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:13 PM

I have a 5.3HO in my truck and its pulled everything I have hooked it to, and trust me, as a Alaskan farm kid, thats been a lot, including a gooseneck with a skidsteer and a bag super sack of oats (I pull that combo at least once weekly)

Old 07-22-2013, 03:37 AM
Beginner

Get a custom tune for a good performance upgrade.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:20 PM

Another thing you could try is re gearing the rear end... maybe a 4.10 gear ratio it will definitley help.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:42 AM

If you hit the wrecking yards, watch for a Doug Nash Overdrive unit...later US Gears, similar case, different internals.
In the one we had, we went the opposite of everyone else, choosing a 20% Underdrive, rather than Overdrive. This dropped all of the gears 20% when we needed power, and when we were cruising we just shifted into Direct...less turning shafts. That way we were able to stay with the original rear end.