Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

O.K. you guys, see if one of you can help me with this.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 08:38 PM
Default O.K. you guys, see if one of you can help me with this.....

I've recently aquired a 1999 chevy dually,crew cab, with a 454engine and a NV4500 tranny.
The engine is fine but tranny is busted to hell and back, due to previous owner desperately trying to shift with out a clutch.
I think that the slave or master cylinder went out . Anyway, I got the truck now and I want to swap the NV4500 for a 4L80E ,this way it'll be idiot proof when it comes to various persons operating the vehicle. SO...this is what I wanted to know....

1.How hard is it to do this swap?

2.I forsee probable altering of the driveshaft, flywheel,and maybe radiator,and adding a floor shifter. But what about any wiring ,......and also what about my speedometer how will it need to be hooked up ?

3. what mfg. year on the 4L80E should I be getting?

4. Are there any other auto trans that would be good with this block (towing moderately heavy loads , at times)?

5. Does chosen transmision have to be electronic to perform in sync with this year model engine? (if not then which non-electronic trans may I use with good results)

thanks

Old 08-18-2008, 08:54 AM
Default RE: O.K. you guys, see if one of you can help me with this.....

Honestly I think your best bet would be a replacement NV4500 or something similar. It would be an easy swap, slave cylinders are easy to do and you could also upgrade the slave cylinder and clutch kit to be a little easier to drive and still be heavy duty.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:55 PM

You should be able to get all the parts out of a junk yard truck, but the only probelm is that all the 96 and newer trucks are only in a select few junk yards. I had to travel 45 miles to get to a junk yard that had a 98 that I could get the part out of.

Here is what I would do, I would fix the current tranny and not let other people driving it with out knowing what they are doing.

What you want to do is good and all, but you will be spending a lot of money at a parts store or junk yard for all the parts you will need.
Off of the top of my head you will need all of the following to make it right.
-4L80E trannywith wiring harness flywheel and new driveline without the carrier bearing.
-Radiator and tranny coolant lines/ or/ an aftermarket augxillary unit.
-Peddel assembly with a harness that will either bypass the clutch switch or eliminates it all together.
-The speedo will be able to hook directly up to the output shaft of the auto tranny (may have to use a recallibrator box.

If you choose to go the non electric route you will need to get a 4L80 or the turbo 400 trans. Both are designed for the HD trucks.
If you do the swap, make sure that you install a trans temp guage and make sure when the truck is pulling that the guage gets a close eye on it.

Other than that, you should be able to fix all the other stuff that comes along with the swap. Like I said earlier, this is only a list off of the top of my head.
GOOD LUCK!!!!

Old 08-20-2008, 05:50 PM

As posted above. You are looking at alot of work, moneyand headaches. Better of to replace with the same tranny.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:53 AM

I agree keep same trans it wil last longer than the other one PLUS you will save a lot of money and problems.