Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

OBD shorted - fuse blows hard

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 09:52 PM
Default OBD shorted - fuse blows hard

Hi Silverado guys. I have a 2003 Yukon 5.3L and need your help... now before you leave, please let me explain why i am posting to a Silverado forum but drive a Yukon. You know the reason. The Yukon forums are all about how to trick out your ride with some navigation, 18" rims, and neon lights... I need help from some folks that actually know about how these trucks, and that's you guys of course.

Here' the problem: The OBD and main cigarette lighter (the one closest to the driver) do not work. As you know the OBD and cigarette lighter are on the same fuse which explains why they both are not working. When I try to replace the fuse it pops immediately, sparks and blows with a black carbon stain on the inside of the fuse, in otherwords there is a short in there somewhere.

Here's where the problem gets worse... My check engine light has been on for a week, but since the OBD is not working I cannot get the code pulled. I'm getting 9.6mpg in city only (no highway) driving which seems lower than I was getting a year ago, maybe 12mpg back then... ugghhh!

1. How do I find the electrical short and fix it so I can get the code pulled?
2. What other components are on that fuse?
3. Where is the best place to get/buy a wiring diagram (or do i even need one?)

I fear taking it to the dealership... expecting the bill to be:
$300 to find and fix the short
$100 to pull the code (even though AutoZone will do it for FREE!)
$400 to fix whatever the code is (I've already replaced the gas cap to rule that possibility out)

Thanks for your help!

Old 05-19-2009, 11:10 PM

This might not be good advice but if it was me I'd put a bigger fuse and see if you can read the code. You can get the Haynes book for you're truck at auto zone. It will tell you what all runs on that fuse. Then you might be able to start unhooking the componenets one at a time.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:28 AM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Try disconnecting or unhooking the cigarrette lighter and then put a fuse back in.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:53 AM
Default Money Talks

Ran into the same thing at the dealership..A kid had put some change/coins into the lighter outlet and it was overloading the circuit. As stated in the prior post I would disconnect the lighter circuit to eliminate it first..