Go Back   Truck Forums > Chevrolet/GMC Truck Forums > Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2009, 08:18 AM

Default Oil Change Indicator Silent - How Long is Too Long?

I have a 2007 Silverado Classic. It's been 6000 miles since my last oil change/reset. I'm running synthetic oil. I'm concerned that between mileage and over 100 hours of idling, the indicator hasn't told me it's time to change my oil. On this model truck, the display doesn't give you a percentage of oil life, just an alert when it's time to change the oil. Those of you familiar with this model- should I suspect a bad reminder/sensor, or is it normal to go this long without an oil change being indicated?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Truckforums!
Old 12-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Mine in my 2001 is set to light up every 4500 miles. With synthetic, I only change my filter after 4,000 miles. Then at 8,000 I change the oil and filter. Synthetic oil does not break down like conventional oil does.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:57 PM

The 2007 manual says it could go up to a year under optimal conditions. I am just anxious not to wait too long. I really have no reason not to trust the truck's indicator. I wish it showed a percentage like higher trim levels.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:03 AM

GM has the parameter in the PCM that can only be seen with an expensive diagnostic tool or software setup. This parameter tracks the Engine Oil Life Remaining as a percent. You can take it to a dealer or mechanic that has the equipment to do this or DIY by purchasing the software and interface to see. The cheapest setup you could purchase would run you about $300.

I personally use ScanXL by Palmer Performance Engineering with the OBDLink interface and the GM Enhanced option. This software setup has paid for itself already by allowing me to diagnose my own problems and fixing them thus saving the dealer or mechanic labor costs. And, you can see a lot of other things going on inside your PCM, TCM, ABS, and Airbag as well. Unfortunately you can't see much from the BCM. It seems GM has most of that locked up for viewing. This setup does not have bi-directional controls like the more expensive diagnostic tools. There may be cheaper setups out there like ScanTool.net

I just checked mine the other day and my indicator will be coming on shortly.

If you are interested in this option, here's the links:

http://www.palmerperformance.com/

https://www.scantool.net/

There are other sites as well but too numerous to list all of them. If you Google "OBD II", you'll get a lot more options.

Bob
Old 01-08-2010, 01:37 PM

If you have a 2007 model silverado without the DIC on the left side that gives you the oil count down, you can install one for under a hundred bucks. I put one in mine about 2 weeks ago. The parts cost around $79 on line, and it takes less than 15 minutes to install it. Then you will get ALL the information your truck has to offer. Tire pressures, oil countdown, instant millage per gal, etc..etc..
The drivers information center is available as two parts, the buttons, and the replacement corner piece that your headlight switch mounts into. You simply PULL that off, and plug in the unused wire that is normally plugged into a blank spot next to the headlight switch inside the cover. Pop the cover back on with the new vent in it and your done. Don't have to reprogram anything, it just works. It is a VERY popular upgrade and will work on ANY level silverado from a base work truck to an LTZ..they ALL have the wires for it..and the same piece works on ALL the silverados. They are all charcoal (or as I call it..black<LAUGH>) so you cant even order the wrong color. It is faster to buy one on line as most of the dealers are on back order for them since they are so popular now. This item comes standard on a 2LT level or higher pickup, but again it can be installed on ANY 2007 or newer silverado.
I would not worry to much about the oil. The computer tests the oil x number of times per second, that is how it figures when you should change the oil. As long as it tests good it will not prompt you to change the oil. Normally harsh winter conditions will cause it to count down much faster than in the summer because of the cold starts, etc. (It is no longer based on engine run TIME or MILES like it used to be.) The new system actually inspects the oil itself.
As long as you change your oil when the computer tells you to, GM will back the engine for 100,000 miles. (that is a direct quote from the gm rep that explained the new system to us back in '07)
If you decide to put in the new DIC I am sure you will love it.
If you have a hard time finding the parts I will dig up a link that shows them and how to install it for you. It is SUPER SIMPLE.
Good luck with your new truck.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:09 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Thats great info there my friend!!
Old 10-24-2010, 09:57 AM

Link to the module would be great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter313 View Post
If you have a 2007 model silverado without the DIC on the left side that gives you the oil count down, you can install one for under a hundred bucks. I put one in mine about 2 weeks ago. The parts cost around $79 on line, and it takes less than 15 minutes to install it. Then you will get ALL the information your truck has to offer. Tire pressures, oil countdown, instant millage per gal, etc..etc..
The drivers information center is available as two parts, the buttons, and the replacement corner piece that your headlight switch mounts into. You simply PULL that off, and plug in the unused wire that is normally plugged into a blank spot next to the headlight switch inside the cover. Pop the cover back on with the new vent in it and your done. Don't have to reprogram anything, it just works. It is a VERY popular upgrade and will work on ANY level silverado from a base work truck to an LTZ..they ALL have the wires for it..and the same piece works on ALL the silverados. They are all charcoal (or as I call it..black<LAUGH>) so you cant even order the wrong color. It is faster to buy one on line as most of the dealers are on back order for them since they are so popular now. This item comes standard on a 2LT level or higher pickup, but again it can be installed on ANY 2007 or newer silverado.
I would not worry to much about the oil. The computer tests the oil x number of times per second, that is how it figures when you should change the oil. As long as it tests good it will not prompt you to change the oil. Normally harsh winter conditions will cause it to count down much faster than in the summer because of the cold starts, etc. (It is no longer based on engine run TIME or MILES like it used to be.) The new system actually inspects the oil itself.
As long as you change your oil when the computer tells you to, GM will back the engine for 100,000 miles. (that is a direct quote from the gm rep that explained the new system to us back in '07)
If you decide to put in the new DIC I am sure you will love it.
If you have a hard time finding the parts I will dig up a link that shows them and how to install it for you. It is SUPER SIMPLE.
Good luck with your new truck.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:53 PM

i've seen oil life indicators let people go up to 16000 miles without an oil change. i dont care how sophisticated the computer system supposedly is, i dont trust it. just change your oil.

gone: 1989 GMC Jimmy fullsize, carb 350, TH350, NP203, 33x12.50x15 BFG All Terrains, front and rear lockers

Current: 1997 Chevy z71 ext cab and 05 gto a/t
Old 10-24-2010, 08:59 PM

Can you shoot us a link to the upgrade? I've got a 2010 LT and it kills me that Onstar shoots me my tire pressure every month, but I don't have it displayed in the cab.

Thanks! Rick
Old 11-18-2010, 10:08 PM

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...umber=19159438
Old 11-18-2010, 10:08 PM

Tags
change, dodge, frontier, gmc, indicator, long, nissan, oil, problems, ram, silverado, synthetic, truck, wait, weeks