Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

power steering pump or gear?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Default power steering pump or gear?

Well I had this problem about 2 months ago and it just happened again today. when i first bought the truck a year ago the power steering was whining for a couple months until i checked it and it was empty so i filled it with lucas. The first time my wife started the truck in the morning two months ago the pressure line going into the power steering gear shot off and the system emptied in the street and on my drive way. I reinstalled the hose, put a tighter clamp on it and filled it with lucas power steering fluid. this morning the same thing happened but this time the fluid was all foamy. the last two months everytime i would start it, it would take a few seconds for the power steering to engage and it would whine, but the fluid was full and i had bled the system already. so my question is, is it the pump or the steering gear?

Old 10-21-2008, 02:28 PM
Default RE: power steering pump or gear?

oh sorry, it's a 1999 chevy silverado 5.3L 2wd ext cab

Old 10-21-2008, 05:08 PM

Pump,just swap it out. As long as you have a pully puller than you should be able to pull it your self. I have already put two new (rebuilt) pumps on my truck. If you have wide offset wheels or larger tires than it has to work harder. Simply put, if you gained 30lbs, you would have to work harder to climb stairs right?

Good luck!

Old 10-21-2008, 07:35 PM

Well I bought the pump today but I have just one more question. When I filled up the reservoir all these times I used Lucas powersteering "stop leak". Am I not suppost to use the whole bottle to fill the reservoir? or is it just an additive. I went to the Lucas web site and it says that you can fill the whole reservoir but I wasnt sure as this is my first time fooling with powersteering. I filled it up with valvoline brand from autzone this afternoon after the line blew off again. So should I still go ahead with the pump swap? If so, how long should it take?

Old 10-22-2008, 03:15 PM

Sorry I was thinking it was another problem other than it just being the hose blowing off. I thought that you were having an issue with it weining!If that is the only problem, then flush the entire system and get a new hose and clamp. Now is this the pressure or the return line that keeps blowing? Because the pressure line should be braded rubberized hosewithcrimped fittings andmetal endson each end. The return line will be larger and less serious. I would imagine it is the pressure line that you are having problems with. For that you need to replace the hose, when you do there should bean electronic solonoid on the fitting that goes from the pump. Make sure that is not causing any problems and make sure that you replace the o-rings on the hoses when you go to put them on. Unless they are crush fittings. I have the 5.7L so mine might be a little bit different.

Good Luck Man!

P.S. The stop leak type fluid is fine to run in any system as the primary fluid if you are having leaking problems, you have a little more than a leak!

Old 10-23-2008, 08:04 AM

I don't think a clamp will do it on the pressure side of the pump. I think you need to replace the hose. I do not know about "stop leak" additives either. I trust lucas additives but "stop leak" stuff can gum up the works. Try replacing the high pressure hose. Sounds like it could be getting air in the system somewhere, would explain the foamy fluid. And the high pressure line MIGHT be able to be held together with a big "high pressure" fuel line clamp. But I would just replace the hose.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:41 AM

well the hose that is blowing off is blowing off of the steering gea and is not the braided one. I even watched it do it one of the times and the fluid just started pulsing out of the steering gear. But since i have put a new clamp on and filled it with valvoline steering fluid i havnt had any problems, so i'm going to give it some time and if it's ok then i wont replace the pump. But on the other hand I did not think that I was getting air in the system until you guys mentioned it. Now I think I will replace the hose if it happens again before i do the pump.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Beginner

had to the last mechanic twice this week.they pulled the serpentine belt and the sound was gone..they put on the first remn pump and the sound was louder than ever...he let me here for myself with his stethiscope and could here the sound in the front of the power steering pump...here is whats been replaced..the belt,ps pump(twice sor far both reman),idler pulley,belt tensioner(yesterday)..i can here the sound from the front o fpump...it is still loud,i am out tons of $$,and it still is louder than when i took it in...heres what we are doing this Tuesday>>my last gasp...i guess going to the chevy dealer wiil be my last resort..we are putting on a brand new,not reman GM pump to the tune of $250 and and a new oem pully for the pump>>>anyone got any ideas..fuel milea about 13.5