Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Power Steering Pump Moaning On Start-Up

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 09:18 AM
Default Power Steering Pump Moaning On Start-Up

Here's the history of this problem. I have a 1999 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 that I bought about 6 months ago with 112,00 miles.

I noticed a belt squeaking not long after I bought it, so I replaced the serpentine belt. No luck, still squeaking. So, I replaced the auto tensioner and the compressor belt. Still squeaking. Then, I started noticing a low moan when starting the engine and it will usually last a few minutes until the engine warms. Seems to get worse if I put in gear and hold the breaks down. After looking a little closer, I see fluid leaking from around the power steering pump. I checked the level and it was good. I assume the fluid leak is causing the belt to squeak, but what about the moaning noise. Is this a power steering pump going bad?

Old 01-13-2009, 03:33 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default RE: Power Steering Pump Moaning On Start-Up

I thought I had a squeaking belt too, but to come to find out I had a dry Idler pulley and tensioner pulley. So I removed both of them, cleaned them real good with a degreaser solvent and then repacked them with grease. And of course remove the seals before cleaning and reinstalled the seals and packing them with grease. Wa-la know more squeak. So I will do my A/C tensioner pulley next... I figure since all the pulleys have the same amount of miles on them might as well grease them all, right?

Old 01-14-2009, 08:53 AM

I got under the truck last night and tried to figure out exactly where the "chirp" was coming from. Sounds a little louder around the A/C tensioner pulley, so maybe that's it. I'll replace it this weekend and see if it stops.

Still wondering about the moaning/low growl noise on start-up...I wouldn't think the tensioner pulley would cause this? Could it be the power steering pump going bad? It does NOT get worse when I turn the wheels, but does seem louder If I put the truck in drive and hold the breaks down. almost like something is getting bogged down and making the moan louder. Seems to stop after a few minutes and the engine is warmed up. Anyone out there experience this before?

Old 01-14-2009, 02:50 PM

ORIGINAL: bthornhill
Then, I started noticing a low moan when starting the engine and it will usually last a few minutes until the engine warms.
My GMs will do this IF they are low on PS fluid, but you said the level is OK ...

Old 01-14-2009, 04:19 PM

yep, fluid level is good. I can't find anyone that has the same problem. Guess I'll replace the A/C tensioner and if it continues replace the p/s pump. If that don't fix it, I'm out of guesses

Old 01-15-2009, 07:27 PM

I have the same issue with my 89..... its just a light moan when the fluid is topped off.. gets louder as the fluid goes down.. i hear it alot when its cold outside..