Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

quick overhead console question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 02:28 AM
Default quick overhead console question

i like the overhead consoles in trucks, how hard would it be to put one in my 2006 silverado WT, and where can i buy one??

Old 07-20-2011, 07:01 AM

It's not very difficult at all, and you can pick them up at salvage yards for reasonable costs.
Routing the wires to the fuse box is the bugger.

Last time I did this with a neighbor, we found an entire headliner with the console in the right color (gray) for his truck, We swapped in the new headliner and console and had everything working in about 2 1/2 hours.
Remember, I'm an old guy (61 years old), you younger fellas could probably do it on half that time. lol

Old 07-22-2011, 09:52 PM

haha, 61 isnt that old, im only 16 and my dad just turned 68 lol, but yeah i thought it was gonna be an easy job, i might even find one from another vehicle that doesnt have any lights, just a storage spot and put it in there that way i dont have to worry about wiring, but how would i go about attaching it to the roof??

Old 07-23-2011, 06:58 AM

I'm assuming you're talking about one of the factory consoles. There are a couple of different types. One is just a small storage space with a couple of map lights. Another has storage, map lights, an space for a remote and sun glasses. and another has buttons for garage door remotes that simply learn you garage door code, and don't require you to carry the actually g/d opener. And still others, in crew cabs have reading/map lights for the back seat, too.

Most of today's OH consoles don't attach to the roof, they attach to the head liner.
Some replacement head liners have knock outs for the consoles, and they simply snap into place.

Look around in salvage yards for the console you want. It's very possible to find a headliner that matches your trucks interior perfectly, and the swap is even easier than trying to prep your existing headliner for a console.

The wires for the lights or any other electrical stuff in the console are usually routed through the driver's side "A" pillar, and since you'd need to remove the interior "A" pillar cover anyway, you should have much difficulty routing any electrical wires to the fuse box (breakers). Remember, when you're doing electrical work in your truck, don't take any short cuts. Buy the proper connectors and splice taps to connect new wiring the right way. Home made stuff can cause an electrical fire in your truck, no matter how nice it is.
Do the job right, or don't bother doing it. Electrical tape, shaved wires, paper clips, and stupidity don't make for a good connection.