Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Taking screen out of MAS??????

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Question Taking screen out of MAS??????

Do you guys think that it is a good idea to take out the screen on the MAS? Is it worth it? Reliable? I have heard both ways. Little gains and big problems down road.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Na dont do it. ITs not worth it. I did it to my 2001 5.3l when it had 60k on it, and it was fine for 2 days then it started shifting wierd. Started slipping and then eventually I burned up the transmission. I have read this many times and the same story results in problems. Some it doesn't affect it. So its a gamble. The main purpose is for that screen to evenly flow air across the sensors for a more accurate reading. Its to eliminate turbulance. Taking it off will only flow about 140 more cfm. Those sensors are big anyways. So the motor gets plenty of air with it. If you want more air and better throttle response then port your throttle body. Very easy and cheap to do by yourself. You will notice a big difference especially if you are running a CAI.http://www.ewurl.com/post/DIY-Portin...ttle-Body.aspx

Old 07-12-2009, 11:02 PM
TruckForum Addict

I put a descreened MAS on my truck and it made the throttle lighter and a tad more responsive. And then I put my stock on back on and got a stiffer throttle and a tad less reponsive. I never had and problems, but felt more comfortable with the screen just in case it did cause a problem down the road. I know several people running their trucks descreened for years now with no problms. So it is up to you. It was not enough gain for me to run with.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:11 PM

Thanks you for your time. Screen is staying in.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Default Intakes?

What do you thing about AFE stage 2 VS banks ram air?

Old 07-13-2009, 09:14 PM

What do you think about AFE stage 2 VS Banks ram air?

Old 07-14-2009, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by buttdixo
What do you think about AFE stage 2 VS Banks ram air?
Niether of em. Get a Vararam intake. It's the best on the market.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:19 PM

What about the dang air sensor. I went to that website and it doesn't look like they have a spot or room for one.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:23 AM

Are you talking about the vararam kit? Because with that the MAS is moved directly in front of the throttle body. Don't worry, there is room for it.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:57 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

I am not a fan of most of the CAI (most have a filter and suck air from under the hood where the temperature is definitely not colder then the outside air), but that Vararam is very tempting. Pelican did you notice a difference with it. I visited their website and, like most bolt on stuff, they are claiming horsepower gains but in the higher than normal RPM range. How many of us normal drivers spend much time over 4000 RPM? I know I don't. I wish there was a way to get more HP in the idle-3500 range without spending more than a whole new motor would cost!

Quick Reply: Taking screen out of MAS??????