Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Rain water leaking into cab...from where?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 12:19 PM
Default Rain water leaking into cab...from where?

After a few days of heavy rain, i noticed water inside my cab on BOTH sides at the forward kick panels and running along the door kick steps about halfway back.

I cannot seem to locate the source. Meaning i don't see a water trail from the door seals or anywhere up under the dash.

I'm stumped...any ideas would be greatly welcomed.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:56 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Check your windshield gasket. I had a suburban that would get soaked and thats what it was. My headliner would get wet in the front corners also. It was running down the pillars and soaking the carpet.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:52 AM

Thanks! I' check that out. I figured it would be systemic issue across a few model years so somebody else surely would have seen this too.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:39 PM

I owned and 06 dodge that had clearance lights that leaked when I first bought it....don't know if you have any but if it ain't the windshield it has to either cab lights or the satelite radio antenna seal leaking would be my guess

Old 04-19-2010, 09:13 PM

I have a 2008 Chevy extended cab truck,
I noticed water on my drivers side front floor board a couple of months ago thinking it was a windshield or a leak in the firewall but it ended up being the inner door deflector behind the door panel. Before diagnosing it I took it to the dealer and after $250.00 (for drying the carpet) and they couldn't get it to leak water.
When I saw water leaking between the inside of the door and the door panel I took off the door panel myself and saw that the inner door panel deflector (material behind the door panel) had been repaired with that black caulking looking goop but I'm not sure what shop would have done that so I am ordering a new inner door deflector since I tore mine getting it off. The dealer told me that that is not a water deflector but I saw where the water is running down the window channel and splashing everwhere and there is a sealant on the deflector.
Another one of GM's great designs !!

Old 05-10-2011, 08:14 AM
Default I Hope This Helps

Sorry this is kind of late, but I just saw it & wanted to share what I've found, in case it helps you & others:
I have a 2000 Sierra Extended Cab & have, over the last two years, had several cabin leaks. Here are some I had to repair-

When I first bought the truck, the leak was what was described in a previous post- The door water deflector. Someone was in there & didn't put it back properly. (Hard to believe, but the black gooey stuff holding it on is OEM. I have a friend whose job is installing these at the factory.)

A few months after bought the truck, it leaked again. The grommet for the antenna cable was popped out and the cable took a downward turn, directing water into the cab. I re-seated the grommet & put a drip loop in the cable so water drips off. This was time consuming to diagnose & more so to access, so hopefully it is not your leak.

A few months later, one of my cabin pressure relief vents (behind the back seat) was loose. I removed both, cleaned them & re-installed with electrician's duct seal around them. A bunch of water came through that! I only found it because of the ice blob around it when I was cleaning up in winter.

A friend said he had a leak because the seal around the duct for fresh air went bad. He popped the metal cover over the duct (under the cowl) and re-sealed it. (My HHR has a similar setup, but the cover is plastic. It shrunk, let water in and I had a ductwork ice berg this winter. Killed the blower motor, too.)

Just to keep me in practice finding leaks- My sliding rear window's hard, plastic trim cracked in three places and leaked water down, behind the seat. There went 100.00- Out the window, so to speak.

My latest leak is (was?? as of this morning) the grommet for the wires going to the door. It was loose & rattly in the mounting hole. I unhooked the wires & removed the grommet. I heated up the tabs to bend them back out. I cleaned everything, applied electrician's duct seal putty & put it back. I was amazed how much water came through this hole.

One tiny leak I also had, on the other side, was the bracket for the door back-check was loose & some water came in around the screw. Found that one by mistake.

I hope you find the problem without too much trouble & your truck doesn't become a "Leak-Of-The-Month-Club" truck, like mine!

Paul

Old 05-10-2011, 04:17 PM
Beginner

I had a Dodge Ram back in the mid-90's that would leak in the same areas. Turned out it was the screws that held the door sill panels(or door kick steps as you called them) in place. The factory sealant had gotten old and fallen off the screws and away from the holes and water would come up through the hole because of all the water the tires threw under the truck. And there was a prettry good amount of water and mud from those 35x10.50's