Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Rear Main Seal

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 05:53 PM
Default Rear Main Seal

My question is about my 2001 Chevy Tahoe. I own a 1999 Silverado so I assume they are the same. But it looks like there is oil leaking from rear main seal which is leaking near the starter. I am pretty mechanically inclined and curious on how hard it is to change this seal? Do i need to have any special tools? Any tips or tricks of the trade would be appreciated. Shop is quoting around $700 to change it!
Thanks!!

Old 01-14-2010, 07:08 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Should be a fairly easy job. All it requires is dropping the oil pan. The oil pump sits in the front right under the timing gears. So when you install back on, make sure the tubing that feeds suction for the pump stays connected.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by RUFFNECK4LYFE
Should be a fairly easy job. All it requires is dropping the oil pan. The oil pump sits in the front right under the timing gears. So when you install back on, make sure the tubing that feeds suction for the pump stays connected.
Ruff,
To make sure the seal or gasket that Im looking at looks like it is between the transmission and the engine. Is this the same one you referring too?

I gotta feeling your going to be my best friend in 2010...LOL

Old 01-14-2010, 08:02 PM

Lol yes thats the one. Some applications call for a new seal, some call for just some RTV silicone. As long as its cleaned and prepped well before installation, then either will work fine.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:21 PM

Ok so to remove oil pan does this jive?
This is out of my GM Chilton Book.

1. Drain Engine oil and remove filter
2.Remove Oil Skid Plate if equipped
3.Remove lower crossmember from below the oil pan if equipped.
4.On 4wd which I have unbolt and lower the front differential carrier with floorjack.
5. Disconnect the front exhaust Y pipe from the engine and the exhaust system.(This step is not necessary but will facilitate removal of the oil pan.)
6.Remove The Starter Motor and plastic bell housing covers.
7.Remove front wiring harness bracket from from the front of the oil pan and the bracket on the passenger side of the oil pan securing the transmission oil cooler lines if equipped and the starter motor wiring.
Also disconnect the electrical connector from the oil level sensor.
8. Remove transmission to oil pan polts
9.if equipped with engine oil cooler remove lines and adapter from drivers side of the oil pan.
10. Remove the access plugs covering nuts at the rear of the oil pan if equipped.
11. On 2001 models and later with 4l80-e auto trans remove the converter cover bolts and on 4l60-e auto remove the stud and bolt on the right side.
12.Remove oil pan bolts, then lower the pan from the engine.

Ok so three questions how do i know which if I have 4L80E or 4L60-E.
Second what section do i look in to locate the gasket itself once I remove the oil pan?
Are these instructions accurate?
Thanks!!!

Old 01-15-2010, 01:51 AM

Well I didnt know you had the 4x4 so that may be a little chore but.... still doable. Im not too familiar with how the bottom end looks like on a 4x4 so just go by the book and you should be A OK!!