Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Rebuild rearend need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 10:25 AM
Default Rebuild rearend need help

My 1989 GMC 4x4 finally blew out its rear end. Opened the pumpkin and it is a mess. I took it to my Mechanic who is not cheap but really good. He suggests a rebuild for 1200 is this a good route? I bet a used one would be cheaper but may be no good? Also with the rebuild could we make it a posi for not much more?

Old 10-17-2007, 11:42 AM
Default RE: Rebuild rearend need help

Ok, I don't know where you live but check salvage yards that actually salvage parts not just let them set there. I got a rear for my old silverado truck I use to have.(that they rebuild on site with new parts). I checked with several people that had bought rebuilt parts from them before I considered it as an option as I was going to do what you are thinking of. The grand total cost was $550.00 for everything. I took it home and bolted it in and I got 50,000 trouble free miles and I tortured it. (Iliveout in the country and 4wd is a necessity and often abused. The rearend was inspected about 4 weeks before I soldit I changed all the fluids for the new owner who was a buddy of mine and didn't no how to do it and everything looked in excellent shape so before dropping 1,200, I would strongly recommend this asan option!!

Later, Zach

Old 10-17-2007, 12:02 PM

Thanks Zac
The trouble is that I am no Mechanic I would not be able to do this job myself. Perhaps I could buy a rebuilt rear end and have my mechanic install it.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:58 PM

Hey, I understand. I just thought I'd suggest it. I would definately check into buying one and having him install it. Oh and I made a mistake I just rememberedthey reused the axle because there was nothingwrong with thembuteverythingelse wasnewand I just called a friend of mine who works at a shop and he said the labor depending on where you live should run about 250-275.00. So your still up there in price but still better than 1,200. My dad put a rearend in an F-150 he had that came from a junk yard that was inspectedandcame off of a low mileage truck that had been wreck and it cost him like 750.00 with labor. So this is just my opinion shop around.

Later, Zach

Old 10-17-2007, 01:29 PM

1200 is cheap'ish...new posi carrier will add 600 to it though...i'd find a used rear end...check around,prices may vary

Old 10-17-2007, 02:46 PM

Yeah thats why I suggested a low mileage rearend like what my dad did for his truck. I just dug through all mypapers and found the one with the rearendon it. The oneI got for my truck was off of a truck of the same year, the carrier, axles were still good so they were reused.They used a rebuild kit and it was $588.77 (inluded standard Eaton limited slipplus $293..58 install of parts with tax it was 948.52. I forgot the reason it was so cheap is on both trucks we did a core swap. So we didn't pay for the rearend just the parts that went in them and the labor to install new parts. My dads was cheaper because he didn't have a posi in his and it just needed a rebuild butwe foundthe brakes were needing changed just bought parts and installed themourselves,and thenwe swapped the rearend his like we did mine and installedit ourselves Sorry I forgot about the install labor for the rearend parts. Still cheapier than the other.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:19 PM

Thanks a bunch guys this is good advice. I live in Washington DC so everything is wicked expensive. I think I may just go with a rebuild from my trusted mechanic. he is a good guy who could use the work and 1200 does not seem too bad....