Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Removing Ignition Cylinder - Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 11:35 PM
Default Removing Ignition Cylinder - Ideas?

'98 Silverado - 5.0.

Hey all. Looks like I have a bad ignition cylinder. I've already had it apart and springs had popped out of it. Put it back together and it was good for about a week.

Now, I put the key in and it won't turn at all, and the steering wheel is locked as well. Looks like it's time for a replacement. However, since I can't turn the key, it makes it difficult to remove the cylinder so what's best way to remove the cylinder without destroying anything else?

On a related note - does the fact that the steering wheel is locked pose any particular problems?

Old 04-08-2009, 01:36 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

well first the best way to remove the lock cylinder is..........well ok you got me im lost but really you can "hit" the tumbler pins with a drill bit to effectivly "eliminate" the need for the key and hopefully disabling the lock feature then you would remove the cylinder as normal....this is ALL theory its been a LONG time since Ive run into this problem....Id go look at mine but Ive got a bathroom to finish remodeling...........

Old 04-12-2009, 11:23 AM

Update - I put the key in this morning, put a crescent wrench on it and gave it a twist - not too much force, but more than I could have done by hand - and the key turned and the steering wheel released. Now that the key turns I was able to remove it by normal procedure (turn to Start, push the release with a pin, etc) and it looks worn a bit and since I'm tired of dicking with it I'm gonna order a new one. I went to Checker (OReilly's west coast version) - they don't stock it, online order only - which is easy enough.

I began the morning ready to pull the steering wheel (bought a puller... $20) but since I couldn't turn the wheel it made access to the horn button/airbag assy nearly impossible. I got lucky that the key popped loose.

So... I'm going to have to make sure I don't lock the steering wheel when I park, and if I DO... I'm keeping the crescent wheel in the center console