Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Repair bearing vs separate bearing/seal

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 07:44 PM
Beginner
Default Repair bearing vs separate bearing/seal

Repair bearing vs original bearing/seal

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
I have a 96 chevy 1500 with 195,000 miles. When getting the tires rotated last time the tech told me that I had oil on the back of the passenger side tire and wheel. I assumed that I had an axle seal leaking. I took the tire and drum off and the inside was coated with oil. The driver side was not leaking at all but I decided to replace both sides at one time. it was suggested to me at the parts store to use the replacement bearings (timken) because the leak was probably due to the axle being worn/damaged by bearing allowing it to move a little and loose a good seal. I did not see or feel any issue with either axle but went ahead and used the replacement bearings. Got everything put back together, along with new brakes. test drove with no problem. Drove it to work the next morning about 5 miles. When i got off work it had a ring of oil around the driver side rear wheel about 3 foot around. I just assumed seal was not good. next day did the whole thing again on the driver side only and replaced it with another repair bearing. It has been 2 weeks now and I still get a smell of rear end oil every once i a while but I thought it was due to getting some on tailgate while cleaning diff cover. I removed the tires/drums yesterday only to find the inside coated again with oil. Not enough to run out of the wheels but enough to coat everything. No way i have any back brakes right now.

This is where i am looking for some advice and opinions. I see nor feel any visible wear on axles. Remember only passenger was leaking originally and first leak with repair bearing was on driver which was not leaking so is it safe to assume it is not the axle on the driver side at least? Would it be a better option to go back to separate bearing and seals instead of replacement?

Questions if anyone could help.
1. Has anyone had issues with the replacement bearing not sealing as good?
2. Would separate bearing/seal be a better option at this point since others are not sealing?
3. I got Timken replacement bearing thinking they would be better that Duralast? correct?
4. Timken replacement bearing is 29.99. Separate timken bearing is 49.99 without a seal. why so much more? Is it a better bearing?
5. would you use gasket for diff cover or just some sealant?
6. I have seen threads about a breather plug that can get plugged and cause pressure to build up a cause this? Where is this plug located?
7. I filled the rear end while on a level surface with oil only until it was running out of the fill plug. Was that the correct amount of oil? Can it be over filled causing my issue?

thanks....