Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Replace fuel pump on 2000 Silverado ?? (help...)

Old 01-07-2007, 09:48 PM
Default Replace fuel pump on 2000 Silverado ?? (help...)

It looks like it might be time to replace the fuel pump on my 2000 Silverado Short Box, 4.3L V-6. I have heard the horror stories of how expensive this is... into the $750-$1,000 range. The reason being, because the mechanic will have to remove the fuel tank in order to repair the unit which is INSIDE of the fuel tank.

Since I am going to all this trouble, and since a MECHANICAL-STYLE fuel pump for a small block Chevy USED to be around $25 and a couple of bolts on the engine block... let me ask this...

Is there any alternative to this style of in-the-tank fuel pump available that will work with the 4.3L engine?

Back in the day, we didn't need a fuel pump mounted INSIDE of the gas tank... in fact, I think the guy who re-designed this on the engineering table should be blind-folded and shot... because it is trouble from day one...

Is it possible to modify the fuel delivery system so that I can use, say, an Edelbrock electronic fuel pump??
https://www.truckforums.com/default.asp
(9th item down on that web site, item # 3594)

Seems fair to assume that all the engine needs is a good delivery of fuel. Seems fair to assume that by drilling a couple discreet bolt holes somewhere underneath the body, that one of these could be mounted rather effortlessly.

My truck is paid for, so I figure I can do what I want with her at this point... I don't have a LEIN hanging over my head anymore...

But I have a weird feeling that the modern-day desingers have screwed the hot-rodders out of every bit of fun, thereby creating vehicles that nearly 100% of the time need to be returned to the dealer in order that they may be fixed. It seems to have been a trend the automakers have screwed us all with...

My opinion, of course... the opinion of a former shade-tree mechanic who always enjoyed opening the hood of a 1960s vehicle and seeing nothing but engine. No tubes, no mystery wires, no computer. Just a throttle linkage, and a tail pipe...

So, can a person change the fuel pump on a 2000 Silverado to something more manageable by a common man?

Enquiring minds want to know...

Thanks!!

Old 01-08-2007, 07:55 AM
Default RE: Replace fuel pump on 2000 Silverado ?? (help...)

If you are willing to go to all the trouble of switching to an external fuel pump you should be able to drop the tank and replace the pump yourself with a good manual and basic hand tools, just make sure you get the good replacement pump with a lifetime warranty.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:55 PM

i agree with killer over here, if your willing to do all of that, just fix the damn thing in a few hours, if that...and dont be so bitter about the new cars these days...

Old 01-11-2007, 01:23 AM

so, can I or can I notmodify the existing to make it easier next time when and if a fuel pump failure occurs?

I'm not a mechanic,,, I was just making a point by the "shade tree mechanic" line... back in the day when you could pop the hood and see an engine, an alternator, and a battery... well, yeah, I could swap out an alternator... that was the extent of my mechanical abilities... the auto-makers have done away with those days for good for me...

but in today's vehicles I wouldn't attempt fixing anything.. ZERO skills here...

any work done here will have to be paid for...

maybe it isn't worth the bother... but I'm thinking if the fuel pump were mounted anywhere BUT inside the gas tank, I might be able to change it later with a wrench, two bolts, and a new pump...

besides, I live in an apartment complex, and I have no where to put the thing to work on it... nor do I know anybody who works on computered late-model vehicles

I don't mind paying for a good mechanic... I realised years ago that you can't beat a man at his own game...

same thing with plumbing... not about to attempt a fix-it... that's what plumbers are for...

and framing a house... probably the best example... give me a rack of two-by-fours, and a skill-saw, and you might get your house framed in by the year 2050... find a framer who does it for a living and it will be done in a matter of days...

same thing with good mechanics in my book... they are well worth the dollars paid...

might be this forum has a lot of mechanically inclined folks subscribed to it, but I'm not one of them... give me a screwdriver, and I'm lost... haha

Plus, I don't particularly agree that a fuel pump INSIDE of the gas tank is a good location for the device... its obviously a good location to put something if you want to force people to take it back to the dealer to repair...

the old-style mechanical fuel pump on the front of the engine block used to be a breeze to replace... even a dum-dum all-thumbs kind of guy like myself could replace one of those...

no way am I going to attempt to drop the fuel tank, etc... I honestly wouldn't now what the hell I was doing... Hayne's, Chilton's... ha... I'm sure the fire department could, shouldor would be called.. ha

she'll be at my mechanics door by next Monday... thought I could pick up some kind of a nifty trick here, but guess not...

was just hoping to find a creative solution, rather than folks assuming I could fix it myself, etc, etc///.. ain't gonna happen... not in this lifetime...

Old 02-27-2007, 10:16 PM

I work as a saleman at a GMC store, how I've seen the shop do the fuel pump is to remove the truck bed, these guys get paid on flat rate so the faster the better.

Obviously a few buddies are needed for a few minutes! The bed actally rests on the rear tires, so your actually only moving it back a foot or to to access the sending unit, no tank to drop, no gas to drain.

Good luck!

Old 02-28-2007, 10:37 PM

thats exactly how its done, gm trucker, remove the truck bed, its just a few bolts, but be careful when you lift the bed up, make sure and have someone who can undo the electrical wires to your tag and rear lights, then its a breeze, just turn and lift the pump...

Old 02-28-2007, 10:48 PM

Look..cars have changed..Carbs needed about 4 psi...Throttle bodies about 13 psi...that Vortec v-6 needs 60 psi!
60 psi is a tottaly different type of system...it takes a strong pump motor with heavy gauged wire to make 60 psi...

Now,that big pump and heavy wire is going to get hot...how can we cool it?..by putting it INSIDE the tank and letting the gas cool it.

If you want to only do the job once,buy a GM pump...its higher for a reason..because its better!

Good luck!

Old 03-01-2007, 07:14 AM

sounds like you're kind of screwed but, Have you tried posting where you live? I bet that if there isa member close to you they would come over and help you. My going rate is a case of beer and a brat or two on the grill.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:58 PM
TruckForum Addict

Argon is right. If you think your truck has a fuel dilevery problem now...

Old 08-06-2009, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by 2000_Silverado_Owner
It looks like it might be time to replace the fuel pump on my 2000 Silverado Short Box, 4.3L V-6. I have heard the horror stories of how expensive this is... into the $750-$1,000 range. The reason being, because the mechanic will have to remove the fuel tank in order to repair the unit which is INSIDE of the fuel tank.

Since I am going to all this trouble, and since a MECHANICAL-STYLE fuel pump for a small block Chevy USED to be around $25 and a couple of bolts on the engine block... let me ask this...

Is there any alternative to this style of in-the-tank fuel pump replacement available that will work with the 4.3L engine?

Back in the day, we didn't need a fuel pump mounted INSIDE of the gas tank... in fact, I think the guy who re-designed this on the engineering table should be blind-folded and shot... because it is trouble from day one...

Is it possible to modify the fuel delivery system so that I can use, say, an Edelbrock electronic fuel pump??
(9th item down on that web site, item # 3594)

Seems fair to assume that all the engine needs is a good delivery of fuel. Seems fair to assume that by drilling a couple discreet bolt holes somewhere underneath the body, that one of these could be mounted rather effortlessly.

My truck is paid for, so I figure I can do what I want with her at this point... I don't have a LEIN hanging over my head anymore...

But I have a weird feeling that the modern-day desingers have screwed the hot-rodders out of every bit of fun, thereby creating vehicles that nearly 100% of the time need to be returned to the dealer in order that they may be fixed. It seems to have been a trend the automakers have screwed us all with...

My opinion, of course... the opinion of a former shade-tree mechanic who always enjoyed opening the hood of a 1960s vehicle and seeing nothing but engine. No tubes, no mystery wires, no computer. Just a throttle linkage, and a tail pipe...

So, can a person change the fuel pump on a 2000 Silverado to something more manageable by a common man?

Enquiring minds want to know...

Thanks!!
Some tools can already found in your tool box at the garage though I'm not sure about that particular model. Anyway here's a quick fuel pump replacement reference that might help you.

Last edited by reagd; 08-10-2009 at 07:43 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replace fuel pump on 2000 Silverado ?? (help...)