Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Replacing Brake Cylinders on 2011 GMC

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 02:11 AM
Default Replacing Brake Cylinders on 2011 GMC

I had my 2011 gmc sierra 1500 in for inspection today, 47,500 miles, they call me and tell me it won't pass inspection, both rear wheel cylinders are leaking, my question is this common for a truck with that low of a mileage? < it cost like $500.00 to have this done at the dealership where I purchased the truck.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Drum brakes are AWEFUL!

I hate drums. I hate everything about them. It is not uncommon at all for them to leak because it's BEEN THE SAME DESIGN FOR 65 years!!!!

On another note, do not have your dealer do this. Do it yourself or go to Midas. Midas will charge half what the dealer does and realistically, you're only looking at MAX $50 in parts for both sides.

Sorry for the rant, but I absolutely hate the fact that I have drums in the rear when every other truck has 4 wheel discs

Old 02-07-2016, 03:07 PM

The only reason i take it there is because i get free inspection for life, otherwise I would have taken it locally, which I will do from now on.

Also i don't understand why they even put drums on the newer trucks, my 99 had disks all the way around, this one was pretty much loaded and I never took note that it had drums on the back.

On the sticker is says 4-wheel ABS W/Dynamic rear proportioning< thought this was disks, didn't think abs would be used for drum's.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:20 PM

Oh yes! First ABS we owned was a '93 Chevy van (Still have it) and it certainly has drums on the back. I don't understand it either. My 07 Grand Marquis is considered a living fossil and it has 4-wheel discs. I kinda understand the wife's Patriot, its the cheapest thing Jeep sells, but trucks are EXPENSIVE! You expect the best for that kind of money.

I'll keep my eye out for this, I'm over 40K myself.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:13 PM
TruckForum Addict

Drums are cheaper to produce, and offer a more "sticky" feel to the brakes. It usually is associated with extremely long life and durability. Lower operating costs, less break dust, etc. There really are good advantages to using drum brakes. But to the end user, like us, we tend to prefer disc brakes for easy of service and their sheer stopping power. My '04 Silverado has 4 wheel disc brakes. Works good, but I can honestly say I felt more holding power with my 96 than my 04. The 96 had traditional drub/disc setup, and RWAL ABS.

As far as I'm concerned, it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:52 PM

They told me that even with that mileage < 47,500, that the brakes are only worn about half way, they are the original brakes, I never got that kind of mileage on a set of brakes on a truck.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:47 AM
Administrator

You are right Nullhead, for longevity, drums are awesome... there's a good chance you will never have to touch them. All of our trailers have drums and they work great and rarely have to be touched.

Except for leaky wheel cylinders LOL!

My biggest issue with mine is that they have that really sticky feeling, so when it rains or I wash it and the water dries, the next time I tap the brakes it about puts your head into the windshield... drives my girlfriend crazy and got coffee all over!

Plus, the sticker on my truck is $52,000... The last thing I want to hear is that they put drums on because they are cheaper