Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

sensitive steering and possible tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Default sensitive steering and possible tire wear

I have a 1998 Z71 and have sensitive steering. The crown in the road make me have to steer against it ( if i am in the right lane I have to steer left, if I am in the left lane I have to steer right). If there is any wind, even the lightest breeze I have to put some wheel into it to compensate.

I also have the outer tread on my front right tire wearing.

Any ideas on the sensitive steering?
Are these two problems related?

Thanks

Old 01-23-2009, 08:32 AM
Default RE: sensitive steering and possible tire wear

Anyone?

Old 01-24-2009, 10:47 AM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

sound like you have some worn front end parts (Pitman arm, Idler arm, inner and/or outter Tie rod ends, very bad ball joints will cause this too)

Old 01-24-2009, 11:09 AM

I replaced them all and had the front end aligned.

One of the thing I am also fighting is that I can't find a good front end guy. All the shops around here have a guy that hooks the truck up to a computer and alligns it to what the computer says without test driving it before or after.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:43 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

ORIGINAL: charlietango

I replaced them all and had the front end aligned.

One of the thing I am also fighting is that I can't find a good front end guy. All the shops around here have a guy that hooks the truck up to a computer and alligns it to what the computer says without test driving it before or after.

did you get a front end alignment or a 4 wheel alignment???????? the diffrence is with a 4 wheel you get the "thrust line" adjusted to the center line of the truck.....now worn tires will also make the truck pull and do weird things also....its not uncommon for a alignment tech to "hook n go".....IF all the front end has been replaced then I would look at your tires as a possible cause

Old 01-25-2009, 07:57 AM

I am hoping that the tires are the cause, I am waiting for spring so I can afford new tires. I still have enough tread except for the cupped and worn out outside tread.

Thanks for the help guys!

Old 01-26-2009, 12:05 PM

Rotate the fronts to the back. Do an x-change. front left to rear right, and front right to rear left. This should help with the pulling, if it still does it after you rotate the tires, than change the fronts only. Flipping them will make them pull differently. I learned all of this from a good friend that did allignments for about 12 years. He went to many schools. But with out looking at your truck and how it drives and the tire wear pattern than I am just giving general advice on what I would do in that situation.

Good luck finding a good front end shop! They are about as rare as a two peckerd billy goat, but oncefind one you will be as happy asthat goatwhen you get everything done right!

Old 01-26-2009, 02:10 PM

I have the same problems with my truck. (95 Z71) Total gheyness if you ask me. I've just been driving my tow truck everywhere, while my Silverado sits in the driveway.

I've got it booked in tomorrow for upper and lower ***** joints, pitman arm, alignment, and new tires. Hopefully the bastard will go straight now, instead of me having to hold the wheel about half a turn to the left just to go straight.

Oh, BTW, I'm going with Firestone Destination M/T 33/12.50/15s, and black 15x10 rock crawler rims.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:10 PM

I have been rotating the tires every 6000 miles since they were new. Every rotation I put the back tires to the same side on the front and put the front tires to the opposite back. Every rotation I don't see any difference in the steering, it is always sensitive to the crown or wind. It's driving me nuts. I need new tires but would like to fix this first. Maybe new tires will help.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:37 PM

My Chevy also does this. My Mechanic said everything looks good and tight on the front. Steering box has slight play in it, but he suggested an alignment. The truck has new tires on it so I know it isn't that. I'm hoping a new steering box and alignment do the trick.
CHARLIETANGO When they aligned your truck, did they grind off a factory weld and put in some kind of boot. not sure on correct terms, but my alignment guy said the 90's chevies fronts were welded from factory so they wouldn't have to align every truck. They would have charged you more to do this.

Quick Reply: sensitive steering and possible tire wear