Go Back   Truck Forums > Chevrolet/GMC Truck Forums > Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-10-2011, 07:07 PM

Default Silverado - Brake Lights won't shut off

I have a 2003 Silverado.. My brake lights will not shut off no matter if truck is running or not.

To temporarily keep the battery from dying, I pulled the VEH STOP fuse under the dash and it turned off the rear lamps however the third light (by the cargo lamp) will not shut off still. I opened up the fuse box under the hood and couldn't find out how to shut the 3rd light off.

Outside of pulling fuses - where does one suggest I start in fixing this? I went to work this AM and they stayed on when I parked. Came out to a dead battery.

Would like to get this fixed ASAP.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Truckforums!
Old 03-14-2011, 04:30 PM

Look for CHMSL (Center High Mount Stop Light). Same fuse for the trailer plug.

If that "fixes" the problem, then that would be the first place I'd start looking for a short from the 12v 'hot at all times' back through the stop light wires.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:41 PM

Question brake lights wont shut off

I also am having this problem on my 1998 silverado k1500. i recently replaced the brake booster and after finishing i realized that my brake light were still on when the truck was turned off. i was told that it might be the stop light switch on the back of the the brake pedal. so i replaced it with an acdelco part it was defective and created another problem which was i couldnt shift out of park...so i replace it again with a BWD part and my lights are still on but i can shift. i ve taken it to a mechanic and he can frigure it out either so any help would be apprecatied.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:44 PM

Default brake lights wont shut off

might need to add that all fuses are fine and the mechanic didnt find any shorts
Old 03-28-2011, 04:44 PM

Tags
2003, 250, back, brake, chmsl, control, dodge, gmc, headlights, lights, nissan, running, sierra, silverado, truck, turn, wont