Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Silverados seem like Hwy Trucks. Any offroad Mods to help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 07:00 PM
Beginner
Default Silverados seem like Hwy Trucks. Any offroad Mods to help?

I would really like to make my next new truck a Silverado. I have owned F150s and Rams. Seems like all the research says that Chevy blatantly made these for concrete cowboys. The suspension system isnt even close to RAMS and Fords. Sure there's the "Offroad package" but that does nothing for the ride quality in the rough. Any Upgrades I can look at? Maybe a 3" Leveling/ Lift 34" toyos and after market shocks?

Old 01-30-2017, 09:07 AM
Administrator

I'm no offroad junkie, but I know the few times I've gone offroad or driven around the farm in my truck it has performed wonderfully.

I assume by off-road package you are referring to the Z-71 package that's available, which includes:

-Rancho Brand Shocks
-Hill Descent Control
-Underbody Transfer Case Shield
-Recovery Hooks
-High Capacity Air Cleaner
-Eaton Heavy-Duty Automatic Locking Rear Differential
-Brushed Metal Sill Plates
-18” or 20” Wheels
-All-terrain Tires

For the all-terrain edition, which I have, the differences are comically almost all cosmetic. There are a lot of badges, carbon fiber-look gear cluster, aluminum sills and trim inside... but the only actual upgrade seems to be off-road tuned rancho shocks, which actually give it a bouncy feel sometimes when driving on the highway.

My truck is great on the highway, gets decent fuel economy, and does even better on dirt roads, two tracks, or rough terrain. It even handles chicago's broke-a$$ road system filled with potholes.

My only complaint is the running boards. They are big, low, and render it almost useless off road. I've almost ripped them off on accident twice, and if my girlfriend wasn't 5' 0" I would have taken them off by now