Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

solid front axle swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 10:47 PM
Default solid front axle swap questions

alright i got a 1990 4x4 chevy independnt front suspension. i wanna convert it to a solid front axle. i have herd that you have to buy a ford axle because of the side the pumpkin is on. i was wonderin if anyone has done this and if they have what there axles came out of and what kinda problems did they run into. also how did u do your steering. i plan on have 6in lift springs with 4-6in blocks and try to fit 40s. i have not started this project yet im trying to get all the info first so i dont block my driveway up to long.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:32 PM

I have been debating about doing this for a long time. Unfortunately I do not know anything about it. There has to be write up or something somewhere on-line. Let us know if you do it. Maybe you could do a write up with lots of good pics.

Good Luck!!

Old 07-02-2009, 11:51 AM

You mainly just have to make sure that the axle you get has the differential housing on the driver side. Because that is the side that your transfercase outputs on.

Most people go with a ford 9" when doing this because they can get a high 9 or an regulare 9 for a decent price and they have a lot of aftermarket support. Which means they can also get replacement parts for them really easy.
Also they can get upgrades, and the overall structure of the housing and tubes are stronger than a standard chevy 8 bolt.

My recommendation is to do your research on 4x4 sites like;
http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/index.html
http://www.fourwheeler.com/index.html

and figure out who has done what. There you will find professional write-ups and actual picutes of what they have done. At least that is what I would do, i don't think there is anyone on this site that has done that kind of conversion. You will find those guys on other forums.