Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Squeaky Brakes - 2006 z71

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 09:48 AM
Beginner
Default Squeaky Brakes - 2006 z71

I have read a number of post about squeaky breaks and the rear drums...Mine appears to be the front.

They squeak at low speeds when braking (around the last 10' before a full stop). I have replaced (rather the shop has replaced) the rotors, calipers, pads and shoes a couple of times, but the squeak continues. The shop has now given up and credited me my money, but i still have the squeak.

If I had any hair left, I would have pulled it out as this has been on going for a year now, every since my originals wore out and needed replacing.

Any ideas/suggestion? How about a good shop on the NW side of Houston?

I have heard something about cross cutting the pads, but I haven't found any sites that talks about it or shows a picture....please help!

Hans

Old 01-21-2014, 03:07 PM

hreed74,

Hello! I understand that you are seeking advice on how to resolve this issue yourself and I might not be able to give you any technical but I would be happy to look into this concern for you. Please private message me if I can be of any assistance.

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

Old 01-21-2014, 09:25 PM
TruckForum Addict

This might sound strange, but are you 100% sure that it's your front breaks? Personally, the only break pads I've had success wtih fixing squeaks are good high quality dealer pads, Napa Adaptive One, and Wagner Thermal Quiet pads.

If I were to put my money on it, I'd take it to a dealer. I can say, that if you replace your pads with good O.E. break pads, and machine your rotors (as long as they're with in spec), you'll be out of there for ~200-400 bucks and you'll know the job was done right.

I ask that you're 100% about which set of breaks squeak, only because I usually see the rear shoes and drums making noise. Not all that often do I find the front breaks on a Silverado cause a squeaking sound. Is this a typical squeak when you apply the breaks they squeal, or is this a "sometimes it happens" squeak?