Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

squealing noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 11:18 PM
Default squealing noise

Hey guys, I have a 2000 sierra 5.3 and the other day it started squealing when I started it up.I looked under the hood and it seemed like it was coming from the a/c belt area, so I checked the belt and it was cracked and worn so after a bit of knuckle banging I replaced the a/c belt but the squeal is still there. While it was off I checked the tensioner and it spun cleanly with no noise. I replaced the serpentine belt about a year ago so it is fine but still she squeals like a stuck pig. I am not sure what would cause this and I am wondering if it is safe to drive while making this noise, I have two little girls that I have to think about. Please, any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:38 PM
TruckForum Addict

Should be fine. Try taking the A/C belt back off again and drive around. I'm unsure how the A/C belts are routed on these trucks ... I've only worked on old as sh* Silverados before.

My best guess is that your A/C compressor bearing is shot. A new clutch kit should fix it, or just get a new compressor. As far as I know, most compressors utilize several snap rings and sometimes have pressed in bearings. It might be easier to just leave the A/C belt off during the winter time.

Another test is to turn on your A/C to max and see if the squealing changes tone.