Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

squishy brakes, new rotors, pads, and rear calipers

Old 08-28-2014, 03:20 PM
Beginner
Default squishy brakes, new rotors, pads, and rear calipers

So I am still having stopping problems with my 2000 Silverado. I have replaced the front and rear rotors and pads, bled the brakes a few times and replaced the rear calipers. The problem I am having is the pedal will hit the floor if any weight is added and I need to stop quickly.

Could the master cylinder be losing pressure or should I replace the front calipers?

any help would be great.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:09 PM
Administrator

By the sounds of it, you still have air in the system. How are you bleeding the system?

Old 08-29-2014, 06:11 AM

Make sure the bleeders are to the top of the calipers. Seen this many times!

Old 08-29-2014, 09:54 AM
Beginner

Because I thought that was the case as well, I took it to the shop to have them bleed the system and still, with just a little bit of weight in the truck, I can put my foot to the floor if I have to brake hard enough

Old 08-29-2014, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Without seeing it... I can only think the master cylinder will need to be bench bleed.
It is not that unusual to get air into the master while bleeding the system.
Once a little air enters the master cylinder it is difficult to get it out without having to remove the master and put it in your bench vise to force the air out by bench bleeding it

Old 08-29-2014, 10:24 PM
TruckForum Addict

I'd say it's probably safe to say that the master is loosing pressure. With the truck off, pump the brake pedal a few times to make sure that the booster is depleted, and hold your foot on the pedal with moderate pressure. If it continues to sink down to the floor, then either there's a leak somewhere, the master is loosing pressure past the seals, or there is air in the lines still. If there's air though, the pedal will squish like you're stepping on a kid's rubber toy ball.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Keep us updated MarkBark... I'd love to know what the solution turned out to be.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:10 AM
Beginner

with the truck off, I can push the pedal to the ground. Im going to take it to the shop again to check the master cylinder for any leaks as well as the entire system. I will keep you updated as to what I find.

thanks for the responses.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:12 PM
Beginner

I was towing an 8000 lb trailer without brakes and when I had to stop quick I felt a pop in the pedal and now my brakes barely stop my truck. I figured that I blew the master clyinder. Not loosing fluid anywhere. I put a new master cylinder in it last night and I thought I bench bled it the right way and also bled the brakes from the farthest to the closest to it. Now I have a nice high pedal for a second or two then it goes soft and at 50 mph it takes like a football field lenth to stop. I dont know wether to rebleed the brakes or try bench bleeding it again. Any ideas?

Old 09-30-2014, 08:22 PM

if you have a gm truck; have a shop perform an auto bleed with a scan tool.

Then while your there have them install electric brakes on your trailer like it's suppose to have.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: squishy brakes, new rotors, pads, and rear calipers