Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

starter problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 12:02 PM
Default starter problems

I have an 81 Chevy Silverado 4X4 and have some serious starter problems. I have replaced the starter at least 10 times. Finally, I replaced the flywheel last weekend, thinking the flywheel must be warped. I have rewired the starter circuit, and I cannot get the grinding to stop. When I shim the starter, it will be fine for a few days, then for no reason, it just starts grinding. Sometimes it sounds like it is too close, then it sounds like it is not close enough. I reshim, and it is fine for another day or two, then same thing all over again. I am wondering if I don't have enough voltage all the time(that's why I rewired the starter circuit). Thought maybe warped flywheel...the only other thing I can think is warped crank, but I have no vibration. Would a ministarter work? I hate to pay the money for that and it go bad too. Any suggestions would help. Thanks.

Old 07-16-2006, 11:52 PM
Default RE: starter problems

hey what size motor is it you have. the parts stores arent always right. they may make more than one size. if the starter is engaging you have your wires correct. the fly wheel was a great place to start as well. now on the fly wheel. how did it look? all the teeth there? was there any really shiny metal around the teeth surface???? Becuz if this is the case, then you might need a longer nose or cone . Also on the original starter, how did the teeth look?? where they rounded off any???Back to the longer nose or cone, this should be enough to engage the teeth to the flywheel, insync with each other when engaged. Hope this helps you, let me please know if i can help you anymore,ok???

Old 08-31-2015, 02:41 PM
Beginner
Default 97 Chevy s10

have a 97 Chevy s10 and where the starter bolts onto the block the bolt hole on the block has broke off with just maybe a few threads towards the end. One mechanic said I needed a new motor or take it out where someone could weld on it? What should I do? Advice needed cannot take anymore of a lose.