Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Starting problems 2000 K2500 5.7

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 03:12 PM
Default Starting problems 2000 K2500 5.7

Okay here goes. This has got me COMPLETELY pissed off and at my wits end. I'm ready to drive this truck off a cliff. I've got a 2000 K2500, Vortec 5.7, 108K, 4x4, crew cab, blah. I'm having trouble getting this thing started after it sits. Sometime after it sits overnight, sometime after it sits for 2 hours. The problem has gotten worse here recently to the point that almost every time I start it I have to pull the intake off and use starter fluid to get the thing running. Sometimes it doesn't even like to fire up off starter fluid. Bear in mind that after I start it, it runs perfectly fine, no miss, no hesitation, idles perfectly, etc. AND if I turn it off immediately after getting it started then restart it anytime within an hour or so - it fires up perfectly. I have plugs and wires that are probably 2 years old(not even 15K on em), cap and rotor that are 2 months old, fuel filter that is 1 week old, non-OEM fuel pump that is 1 year old, recently(past 2 months)cleaned MAF sensor, checked fuel pressure on rail at motor and it read between 55 and 60psi. I do have an aftermarket intake but the truck was doing this before I installed it. I also have used the Hypertech power programmer but recently uninstalled that, disconnected the battery for 15 minutes to try to reset the computer to see if that helped. It didn't. WHAT IS GOING ON????? ANYONE????? PLEASE HELP BEFORE I SET THIS THING ON FIRE!!!! Thank yall for the help!

Old 01-17-2009, 05:20 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator
Default RE: Starting problems 2000 K2500 5.7

sounds like its loosing its fuel prime....leaking injector bad FPR......check those out to start

Old 01-18-2009, 01:19 PM

Ever since I've had this problem I've always tried just cycling the key from on back to accessory a few times at startup to try and build pressure. From time to time it worked. Most of the time it didn't. I decided to try the same thing only a lot more times. If I cycle it about ten times, it starts right up. I was beginning to think it was an air problem, BUT this tells me it IS losing fuel prime. What, besides the fuel pressure regulator could cause this? I wanna make sure and address all possible issues. I have no visible leaks by the way. Thanks to all responses! One step closer. Oh one more thing, if I'm gonna change the fuel pressure regulator, I need to change the intake manifold gaskets while I'm in there(big surprise). Do I need to go to the dealer to get the new/better gaskets or are Fel-Pro or other aftermarket gaskets just as good? Thanks again

Old 01-20-2009, 08:23 AM

alright well that's not even working anymore. sick of it

Old 01-23-2009, 12:00 PM

ttt

Old 01-23-2009, 08:01 PM

i have the same truck
2000 model, 2500 series with 350 engine, obs.

it starts like a champ.

since your truckruns good after starting, electrical has to be good, compression good,all it takes to run if you have spark and compression is fuel.

I had the AC delco fuel pump installed in mine when it when out at 45K, but have never had a problem since. have heard of many problems with pumps other than the AC delco.

I believe your fuel system is the problem.
Rather than just keep spending money and being upset with it,you may have to take it to a good mech who has a higher level of test equipment.

You may have to have a new fuel pump, could have a leak inside the tank that letting the fuel leak back inside the tank, so you would never see a leak,the pressure is bleeding off somewhere, if it will not start afternot running for over1 hr.

about pouring fuel into intake, not sure how that works on a fuel injected engine, may not work the same as on a carb vehicle.

good luckand let us know whatthe problem was when you find it.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:31 PM

86runner, here is your problem. The fuel pump wire harness connector is bad or needs to be adjusted. It also could be the fuel pump ground, but it is probably the connector. When you unplugged the fuel pump to change the pump, the little tiny pin recepticals inside of the connector opened up, causing a loose connection. This causes the problem you are having and if not fixed it could cause a fire. This loose connection is very common.
You can try to tighten up this connection by unplugging the fuel pump and prying the connector recepticals together with a little pin or something similar or just replace the connector totaly they are about 35 bucks at a dealer.
Also, the fuel pump ground should be cleaned and reterminated. It is connected to the frame cross member just before the gas tank. Follow the pumps wiring harness and you will see a black wire that is connected to the fram cross member. This is the fuel pump ground...Either clean it up- or- run a new ground wire and terminate it to a place that where it will not corrode like under the hood and splice it to the fuel pump wire...