Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Suggestions for custom ECM Programs

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 11:44 AM
Default Suggestions for custom ECM Programs

Hello,
I have a 2004 Sierra, 5.3, Z-71, and I want to get the Gas Milage up, anda little power too.My plans areelectric fans, K&N filter, and a custom programmed computer. No exhaust unless it is quiet, and frankly I don't think the free mods will make enough difference to warrant the possible adverse effects.

So, I have contacted Wheatley Proformance many times via phone and email, but have yet to get a responce. That is not the way I want to start a purchase, and follow up service would also concern me.

My other contact was Westers Garage in Canada, Lynden seams very knowledgeable,and 525 sounds like adecent price for the product.

My end allquestion is there a bettercustom computer company, closer or with a little better price? Or is Lynen my best option for a lunch box computer, absent actually going to a shop with a dyno, for the mear fact I want the best MPG this truck can offer on the highway.

Thanks,
MC

Old 08-21-2007, 11:51 AM
Default RE: Suggestions for custom ECM Programs

Also, is there really a better throttle body spacer, I have found trans dap for 50, helix for 75, and power flo for 107. If it is worth it, yes I will buy it, but I would think a 50 dollar 1 in aluminum back-set would only provide so much...

Suggestions??????

Old 08-21-2007, 05:46 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default RE: Suggestions for custom ECM Programs

I too got poor feedback from Wheatley. I am not going to be using his services. I would suggest taking it to a speed shop that is capable of tuning. That way you don't have to wait, if there are any problems you can take it right back, plus they can tell/show you what it is exactly they are doing.

As for the free mods, I agree most don't seem worth the trouble but I have done the airbox mod and I can tell you for a fact that that pays off both in mpg and performance very well, when included with a K&N air filter ofcourse. Just do it like the directions say. A lot of people have taken a drill and drilled holes in the front of the air box instead and that doesn't work nearly as well. I also think the throttle body coolantbypass would bebeneficial but I haven't had the time to do it yet.

I just bought and installed a Trans Dapt Torque Curve throttle body spacer on my truck about a week ago and it is great! Some of my improvements can be related to cleaning the carbon out of my throttle body but the Trans Dapt definitely helps!