Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

basic performance tips

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 10:30 AM
Default basic performance tips

what are some things I can do to my truck to increase performance? I realize that the sky (ie wallet) is the limit,so for now I would like to keep it fairly simple and inexpensive. Only thing that is aftermarket right now is the True Flow drop in air cleaner.
I have noticed that many guys have the MAF descreened, does this really help that much? Also, have been a diesel guy for the last 3 years, performance chips are big with these......are they as beneficial when it comes to gassers? and if so what is a good one to get? Any other performance tips here would be greatly appreciated......CHEERS!

Old 04-24-2007, 10:37 AM
Default RE: basic performance tips

Sorry.....have added my truck specifics to my signature, but doesn't seem to want to come up. Anyway 2000 SilveradoZ71 LT, 5.3 and 4:10 gears.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:03 AM
TruckForum Addict

I have done dual exhaust ($280), descreened MAF (free), Trans-dapt TB spacer ($50) putting on today, and have a K&N drop in air filter. The exhaust was a great inprovement and my buddy but the TB spacer on and it was a great inprovement in trottle also.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:22 PM

It is funny how we are always searching for that "inexpensive" mod that is going to give us an additional 100 hp. Trust me; I'm guilty of this as well. The fact of the matter is there isn't an inexpensive mod that is going to create a massive amount of hp and torque gain. We all know what can give massive amount of hp and torque increase, i.e. greater displacement, heads/cam, and supercharger/turbocharger, but of course all of these performance modifications are in the thousands of dollars. Now that I have that off my chest, let me explain what has worked (for me) and what hasn't thus far.

Cold Air Intake=The first and fastest way to get more power out of any engine is to get more air into the engine and more exhaust out. The cold air intake is a great modification that will supply noticeable acceleration gains and increased throttle response. The sound is great also and it is aesthetically pleasing under the hood.

Exhaust= Installing a good quality cat back system or true dual system will allow exhaust to exit more freely therefore, reducing power robbing backpressure. I've said this before, but air and exhaust are, in my opinion, the foundations of all performance modifications. An aftermarket exhaust will give you noticeabledifference in power, but in some cases, it can produce sort of a placebo effect. For example, after my dual exhaust was installed, it felt so much faster but in all reality, it was the sound of the exhaust that persuaded me to think it was faster.

Throttle Body Spacer=This is a quick andinexpensiveproduct thatgive you increased throttle response, but that is about it. SomeTBS companies claim there product produces 20+HP and 20+ft-lb. Well, inmy opinion that iscompleteBULL****!!I noticed a huge difference in throttle response, which I love. I feltabsolutely no power increase whatsoever and haven't seen an improvement in mpg either.However, I think for the price of the product, it is a great addition.

Superchip Flashpaq Performance Tune= If I could do it all over again, I would have went with a custom tune from one of the mail-in tuners instead of getting a handheld tuner. The reason for this is mainly, horsepower and torque vs. price of the product. I was lucky and bought my Flashpaq from performancenter.com on sale for $360. Other places I've researched they priced 450 and up. The performance setting on the tuner provides +18hp/+17ft-lb. I could feel the difference, but only in the higher RPM band, not low or mid like I wanted. I do not feel this product provides the amount of power it should for the 5.3, especially when you consider the price of the product. Go with the custom tune and I think you'll be happy with the "bang for the buck."

Descreened MAF= I did this "free modification," after I installed my CAI and I have to be honest, I didn't feel a damn bit of difference. I'm sure it provided additional hp/torque, but not enough to "feel." I've read reports that removing you MAF screen can make you run lean, but I think that is a crock of ****. I haven't had any problem whatsoever. Is this free mod worth it? Well, if you consider the price of an aftermarket MAF, such as the Granatelli MAF which claims to give you 15HP (Bull****), I would descreen my MAF every time. By the way, the price of aftermarket MAF's are around $350.

This is all I have done to my current truck thus far. I have learned by some of my mistakes and will certainly not repeat them in the future. My future plans include electric fans. This is a guaranteed way to increase horsepower, by eliminating the stress of the engine having to turn a factory fan.<

Old 04-25-2007, 12:20 AM

well said!

Old 04-25-2007, 10:53 AM

No problems here with any of that..

It should be noted though...that as performance rises,mpg decreases.

I know..it sucks

Old 04-25-2007, 12:36 PM

great info guys, thanks again!!!! i have had K&amp;N filters in all my vehicles for along time. This time i decided to go with a True Flow air filter (foam element vs gause) they claim its better (course they would).
Anyone have any experience with the True Flow system? have just gone drop in for now,may do the cold intake later.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:07 PM

SC_CHEVY - well at least we can see you are listening. Nice post man. I could not have said it better myself, well maybe I could but that was alot of typing so I wouldn't have.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:21 AM

Thanks smoke! I was extremely bored and thought I would sum it all up in a HUGE post to save all of you guys some time. You were most likely out smoking some Fords when I was typing this ****!

Speaking of smoking Fords, I KILLED two F-150's today. Let me tell ya, it felt good! Thought I was king **** until I was headed home. I was stopped at a red light and a nice *** 2500 Duramax pulled beside me. I goosed it and he did the same! Feeling extremely confident after previously beating two Fords, I prepared myself and was ready for green light! Eyes like laser beams I watched the light like a hawk and then, green light...

I'm sorry to say I can't be so descriptive in what happen next. Let's just say, he beat the ever living **** out of me! I swear he put 10+ trucks on me. Needless to say, that was one sweet *** Duramax. I arrived home and feeling a littlesorry for myself, I asked my wife if I could buy a supercharger and she said no for the...256th time! I'm just joking, it was more like the 500th time!

Old 04-26-2007, 07:26 PM

Just bring her to my house. We will get her drunk and swear she agreed to it.

Quick Reply: basic performance tips