Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Throttle position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 08:02 PM
Default Throttle position sensor

Hey all. I posted a question not too long ago about my 08 Silverado surging. Was on my way to get a bedliner sprayed in today and when somebody pulled out in front of me I had to jam on the brakes. It sent the truck into limp mode. My check engine light came on and it was saying service stabilitrak and service traction control, reduced engine power. I had the codes ran and it was throttle position sensor. I figure this was probably causing the surging I was experiencing maybe. Has anyone replaced or adjusted one?After I limped to the bedliner placed it sat for about 4 hrs and it all reset itself and was fine except for the little bit of surging from a stop.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:12 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Cant adjust it, just replace. Its bout $45 at the parts store.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:12 PM

Different vehicle - same problem. I replaced one a few years ago in my 2001 Durango 4.8L....cheap, simple, fixed the problem. I want to say it was about $35...2 torque screws....1 plug. Good luck!

Old 06-30-2011, 10:58 PM

we may be talking about the same thing here but my 89 silverado has started acting like its running out of gas. when i speed up its like it stalls real bad ,it almost cuts off. i gave it a tune up which didnt help a friend of mine said it was the TPS . do you think he is right?

Old 07-01-2011, 06:51 PM

Usually a bad tps will have a fast idle... Are you getting a cel/ check engine light?
Could be a clogged fuel filter... clogged cat. Or maybe map sensor.
If you can do a fuel pressure check should get 9 too 14 psi.
Need a gauge with a tee adapter ... hook it up at back of tbi or at filter.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:43 PM

hey man i own a 2009 sierra, gmc just sent me a letter regarding the throttle position sensor, saying that it could cause a malfunction in several of their trucks. they also say they will replace it for free if my truck had this problem, basically its a special coverage for that particular error. they finally state that if you had some repairs done regarding that problem they would reimburse whatever you paid. they even attached a reimbursement form. hope this will finally help you.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Helpful info Aaron. I hope the author of this thread gets your post.
This thread is 2 yrs old.

Thanks for the info and Welcome to Truck Forums.
Don't forget to visit the New Member Area and start a thread. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about yourself. New Member Area - Truck Forums

Old 01-13-2013, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron Luis Arriaga
hey man i own a 2009 sierra, gmc just sent me a letter regarding the throttle position sensor, saying that it could cause a malfunction in several of their trucks. they also say they will replace it for free if my truck had this problem, basically its a special coverage for that particular error. they finally state that if you had some repairs done regarding that problem they would reimburse whatever you paid. they even attached a reimbursement form. hope this will finally help you.
I can also check into this for you with the last eight of your VIN to see if this applies to your vehicle. Contact me privately for more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service (Assisting Darion).

Old 01-13-2013, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Glad your here Tricia GM Customer Service (Assisting Darion)

I'd love to know how it works out for Aaron. Please stay in touch

Old 03-25-2014, 01:05 PM
Beginner

Hello Tricia. Could you check mine. It has been showing traction control on and off throughout these few past weeks. 8th Vin# is 3

Quick Reply: Throttle position sensor