Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

well my truck just took a huge dump on me today

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 09:24 PM
TruckForum Addict
Unhappy well my truck just took a huge dump on me today

yesterday i was running my truck for about 30 minutes then it just quit running i thaught i was low on gas so i filled it up and it only took 11 gallons out of a 20 gallon tank anway when i backed out of my driveway it stalled on me but i put it it neutral started it right back up then drove it 14 miles with no problems then about 4 hours later i went to my grandparents house and watch tv with him for 3 hours went out to start my truck heard a horrible terrible noise that im affraid i may have lost all my oil pressure cuz when i started it i heard a sound of metal screacing and like a rubing sound comming from the fron of the engine i checked my belts fan clutch pulleys all is good so i dont think the fan is rubbing on anything or the pulleys are loose or the belt the sound happens in the front i also checked the oil it was good i checked everything i possibly could check and now im stumped and cant drive my truck cuz im not sure what it could be the noise happens in the front of the engine pully area i didnt run the truck that long as soon as i heard the noise i turned it off so i really dont now if its rubbing on something but maybe it could be.
guys can you give me any ideas of what it might be or what i didnt look at to see what could cause the noise
or maybe i missed something due to it being dark and only able to see what i could with a flash light
much appriciate it

Old 03-18-2011, 10:06 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

sounds like you lost a bearing in either the alternator, water pump, or power steering pump

Old 03-19-2011, 08:26 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Yep - remove your belt and turn each accessory by hand. My dad bought a truck out of state once and when driving it back it did a similar thing. He called me cursing the guy for selling a truck with a bad motor. It ended up being the alternator bearing just froze up. It was so bad the starter wouldn't even turn the truck over. He swore he locked the motor up until we got it towed back home and removed the belt.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:36 AM
TruckForum Addict

i will try that today thanks guys

Old 03-20-2011, 12:07 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default yep it was the alternator bearing

took it off and it wouldnt move at all if it did it was very hard to move and grinding so got a new alternator adn my truck runs just fine now

Old 03-20-2011, 05:12 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Sweet - it's amazing how bad they can make things seem when they go out! Glad you got it fixed!!!!

Old 03-21-2011, 12:45 PM
TruckForum Addict

well its almost fixed the volt guage reads almost 9 and a half.
the altenator i got was from a buddys elcamino or his brothers truck they didnt tell me so i am thinkin maybe the battery is bad know but she starts and runs jut fine so next month possibly a new battery and a tune up weld my frame where the ******** before i buaght it cut it to try and get the hitch off