Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

tighten gas cap light?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 08:43 AM
Beginner
Default tighten gas cap light?

I remember a while ago i thought i saw a thread about this but i couldnt find it in the search. My buddy has a 2004 chevy 1500 and the "tighten gas cap" warning keeps coming up on his screen but it is perfectly tight. Whats the cure for this?? thanks

Old 09-17-2008, 08:46 AM
Default RE: tighten gas cap light?

Check the seal. That might be torn, or you might have a leak somewhere along the way to the tank. all not good....

Old 09-17-2008, 10:49 AM

New cap.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:41 AM

NEW TRUCK!

Old 09-18-2008, 08:23 AM
Beginner

haha thanks

Old 09-21-2008, 05:43 PM

I have seen 2 seperate times that a code has come up reading air leak, and dealership told me, "Gas Cap"!!!. With me, it was on a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I bought a gas cap from dealer, they cancelled code, and it never came back on. My dad had the same problem on his '01 Blazer. He tried to save money, and bought a cap @ Napa or someplace, had the place cancel the code, did so, a couple days later, light came back on.Before he inspected his vehicle, he decided to break down and buy a GM gas cap. Put it on, had them cancel the code, been good ever since. Ya wouldn't think a certain cap would be any better than the other but evidently its how good the seal is.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:00 PM
TruckForum Addict

Yeah but if GM's gas cap only lasts so long why spend twice as much on there's? My 03 Sierra has kicked on the leak code like 4-6 times now. First time was at like maybe 35,000 miles with the GM cap on. I reset it and ignored the problem, it came back on like 2 months later so I reset it again. I bought a new one at O'reilly Auto Parts and it was fine for about 2 months and kicked the code on again. I bought a locking gas cap from Wal-Mart since people in my area are stealing gas in broad daylight now and it kicked the code on again. What's worse is the area I'm in is a little on the rural side so none of the auto parts stores keep code scanners for customer use so I have just reset it by unplugging the battery for an hour the last 2 times.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:08 PM
TruckForum Addict

Well I hate to say it, but that is when my Hypertech programmer comes in handy... BOOO HISS BOO HISS... I can plug it in and reset the codes. I know I know it is the Hypertech programmer thing... the crowd in the uproar can calm down now. I have learned my lesson for the future...lol
So is one gas cap better than another? LuckilyI have had know problems.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:52 PM

I use a old dirty rag. Mostly red ones but sometimes I get a real dirty one that will match my black truck. I get a new one every time it rains.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:14 PM
TruckForum Addict

So Rxsteven when you are trapped in the rain and can not find a new red rag do you use duck tape to water proof the rag to keep the clean nasty water out of your tank?

Quick Reply: tighten gas cap light?