Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

towing capacity

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 06:55 PM
Default towing capacity

i am looking at the possibility of buying either a Silverado 1500 or Trailblazer. The Trailblazer with the 4.2L I-6 puts out 275HP, and the Silverado with the 5.3L puts out i think 295HP. Gas mileage is 15/21/ (18 average on the Trailblazer) and 15/18/ (16 average on the Silverado). I tow 2 things. I have an 18' Bass boat with surge brakes on the trailer, which dry weight is about 2,000 lbs, and i have a 2 place open snowmobile trailer, which would obviously have 2 sleds on it, which weigh about 500 lbs each, so we'll say total weight is 2,000 lbs as well. I like the 5.3L engines power / response, but with gas prices going up, i'm wondering if the 4.2L I-6 would do me just fine. I have an '01 Grand Cherokee with the 4.0L I-6, and it hauls my boat ok, but not like i want it to, being only 195 HP, doesn't help, but it labors hauling either one up hills. Let me hear from some Trailblazer owners. I'm torn between Silverado or Trailblazer, help me out, give me some comparisons between the 2, thanx, Jim

Old 04-27-2007, 10:12 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default RE: towing capacity

I would say that the silverado would get better gas milage when you are pulling not for sure but if im thinking right i would say the bigger motor would not have to work as much. Also the silverado sites nicer to me and rides better. Plus i dont know if you want 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel but the 2 wheel drive would do ever bit of 21 on the highway. I have even got 21.3mpg on the highway in my 05 4x4 1500 so i would go with the silverado thats just me. Plus if you ever need a bed the silverado has one and the trailblazer does not. I could go on and on. But you get the point. Thanks and hope this helps.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:14 PM

I think the V-6 will do what you need, but I always seem to need to pull something heavier. I would look at it like this. How long are you going to keep the truck? If it is 2-4 years and you don'r forsee anything changing as far as what you are pulling you will be OK with the V-6. But if you are going to keep the truck for a long time, you need to plan that you may want more in the future. I keep trucks for 12 years or so, so I try to plan for everything, and buy the strongest motor I can afford. I tow my 18' boat all the time with no problem. It weighs around 3000 lbs. So I think the V-6 will work foryou. As far as trailblazer or silverado, think about what you do. Do you need the bed to haul stuff? If no then the extra closed in storage is nice for pets, gear, etc. Just think about everything and take your time.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:34 PM

Hey smoke20, Thanx for the reply. My Jeep Grand Cherokee is an inline 6 (4.0L), and the Trailblazer is a 4.2L inline 6 as well, with alot more ponies than the 4.0L. I don't foresee having to tow anything heavier. I had a 2000 Dodge Ram Quadcab with a 318 V-8 before the JGC, but gas mileage sucked (about 13 average), but i like having the 6' bed for dump runs and hauling stuff, and with all likelyhood, i would keep the truck for awhile. Its just sad my wifes Avalanche with the 5.3L in it, gets as good a gas mileage as my JGC. Again, thanx, Jim

Old 04-29-2007, 03:55 AM

Chevyrules, I feel your pain on the Jeep brother. I have a 2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport with the 4.0L that my wife drives, and it is HORRIBLE on gas! My truck gets WAY better gas mileage than that damn gas hog. I've learned that if you want to go off-roading in a Jeep, you better go with a full tank of gas.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:10 AM

Chevy, dude you said one thing that your cherokee labors up hills and what not. An inline 6 will always do that. It is a workhorse of a motor though. Most inline 6's will be there for you through thick and thin. I don't know what your use is for the vehicle otherwise than towing, ya know family and what not. Just from experience I know I buy something and always want more. That is me. From your post though I would tell you that either vehicle would be a good choice. I am just partial to the silverado now though. I thought about the trailblazer but it just wasn't enough for me. I wanted a pickup.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:22 AM

chevyrules - If it were up to me, Iwould definitely go with the Silverado. Even though it is only rated at 20 more ponies than the TrailBlazer, it will pull more. I know you say "you won't pull more", but who knows what 5 years down the road will bring. Don't always want to have to rely on your buddy with the pick-em up truck for moving fridges, freezers, washers, dryers, etc.
My experience with towing when I had mySilveradoledme to believe thatthe truck didn't really care wether I was pulling2,000 or solbs ofjunk car/trailer ornormal everyday driving -mpg's didn't really change that much. I'm pretty sure that the TrailBlazer wouldn't be so kind...

Old 04-30-2007, 05:34 PM

chevyrules - I have both vehicles and would and do go w/ the Silverado everytime when towing my camper (2300lbs). While the Trailblazer tows it decently, the torque just isn't there for the hills I run across up here in Maine. Also, the ride is terrible. It's just not as stiff as the Silverado so it 'bounces' more if that makes sense...

Old 04-30-2007, 09:42 PM
TruckForum Addict

You can also do more things to the 5.3 that will increase your gas mileage way beyond the possibilities of the Trailblazer's 4.2.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:45 PM

Wow, guess i should check this site more often. I want to thank everyone who responded. Everyone agreed basically with what my gut feelings are. I realize my JGC w/ the 4.0L In-line 6 develops most of its ponies @ lowend rpms. And the 4.2L in the TB, wouldn't be a whole lot more, and everytime i drive the wifes Avalanche, (It has Gibsons dual exhaust),i just want my own Silverado more and more. I just love the torque and of course the sound . I'm not sure if the Av has a different transmission or gear ratio than the Silverados or not but i just turn into a teenager all over again, but have to behave when the wifes with me. I will probably end up waiting til next summer before i can afford to trade the JGC for a Silverado, as i owe too much on the JGC. I do know i want an Extended cab w/ 6' bed, and the 5.3L. PW, PDL, PS,PB, cloth upholstry (No Leather), push button 4X4, AT, I guess everything except leather. I know, i'm getting all excited just ramblin on, you guys get the idea, thanx, Jim

Quick Reply: towing capacity