Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Transfer Case Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 09:33 AM
Default Transfer Case Problems

Hi everbody! Newbie here lol I have a 93 gmc 1500 ext cab shortbox 4x4 and yesterday I had it 4hi to get into somewhere. Proceeded to goto the dump and for got it was in 4h but was only doing like 40 or 5o km/h. When I tried to put it in neautral, there was grinding and had no drive/reverses or park. got it in 2H and I can drive and use park etc. So Im guessing the transfer case is shot? If so, how hard is it to remove the transfer case until I can get another one? And how long can I drive it in 2H without messing something else up?

Old 07-26-2009, 10:56 AM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

My guess is the grinding was caused from the t-case being in neautral and you being in gear. You CAN NOT remove the t-case and still drive the truck. I do believe that 93 had a feature that kicked out the 4hi over a certain speed. but dont quote me on that. have you climbed under it and made sure you didnt get any wires pulled out?.......I think the damage/if any is very minimal (overheated shift solinoid) does it function normally now?

Old 07-26-2009, 11:02 AM

I can drive it as long as Im in 2H/4H/4L but when I shut the truck off and put the shifter in neutral and start the the truck, I cant go anywhere. Crawled underneath and as far as I can tell, all wires are hooked up. Im thinking I'll disconected the wires one at a time and go from there

Old 07-26-2009, 11:17 AM

Ok so got in the truck and put it in neutral, shifted from 2H to neutral, and put the truck reverse. Nothing. Tried to put the truck in Park and it was grinding. I put the truck in neutral, shut it off and shifted from neutral to 2H, started the truck and backed up and forward. And I noticed that when I was in 4h, that the light didnt come on but not sure if that means anything or not

Old 07-26-2009, 11:38 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

If I am understanding you correctly the truck should not do anything in neutral only when in 2H/4H/4L. The truck can be running with the gear indicator in neutral and then shift the 2/4 wheel drive shifter into whichever you want to be in. It is normal to hear a little grind when you do it. You should put it in firmly kind of like a boat and not let it sit there and grind for any longer than you have to.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:47 AM

Right. And lets say Im in 2H and put the truck in neutral and shift the lever into neutral, it grinds and vice versa, if that makes sense

Old 07-26-2009, 05:08 PM

Would it be the front actuator? I put it in 4h and had someone drive ahead slowly and layed beside it and the front drive shaft was turning, if that helps

Old 07-26-2009, 07:18 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

What exactly is it not doing? It is normal for it to grind a bit.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:30 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

Like I said I do think that 4hi kicks out after a certain speed

Old 07-27-2009, 07:23 AM

It wont do anything if im not im 2h/4h/4l If I put the tcase in neutral and put the truck in drive, I dont go anywhere. But If I put the tcase say in 2H, the I have drive otherwise, like i said i have nothing

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Problems