Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Trouble filling gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 11:06 AM
TLF
Default Trouble filling gas tank

We have an 06 Silverado that takes forever to fill the gas tank. The nozzel shuts off repeatedly. I'm getting bad vibes from the dealer service department so I am trying to gather as much info as possible before we run up a giant bill. My father has recently passed away and my mom needs to sell the truck asap. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:00 PM
Administrator

I don't quite get what you are saying...

When you put the nozzle in the tank it shuts off before it is full??

Old 07-04-2009, 02:59 PM
TLF

On filling the tank, the nozzel shuts off after approximately 4 secs of filling. Squeeze handle again, 4secs later it stops. It does not matter how much gas is already in the tank. If we can pump the gas very slowly, it may fill for a couple of minutes then stop. Very challenging and time consuming.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Try putting the nozzle in upside down. What I am thinking is that you are using a high speed nozzle and it is spraying so much fuel that the nozzle thinks it is full, maybe change your angle of attack . Do you only fill up at one station or multiple?? I would try to find an older station like an old speedway that pumps gas at 2-3 gpm so there is less velocity.

My mom has a Duramax diesel and what happens is that some of the truck stops have the high flow pumps that shoot the fuel out real fast and it likes to trigger the "full" sensor on the nozzle.

Thats the best I can do

Old 07-04-2009, 07:19 PM
TLF

Thanks for the suggestion. It makes sense. We will give it a try.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Wonder if the evap canister has something to do with it? Cause I know if you keep topping off the gas tank it will ruin the solenoid valve. Sounds like too much vapor pressure in the tank from heat build up and isn't being released. But the truck would throw a code if the valve was stuck closed. So look into that and also check the fill up hose inside the bed. Sometimes it can get kinked for whatever reasons.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:17 AM
TLF

We will check these out. Thanks for your help.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Default gmc fueling problems

I too, am having trouble with fueling my pickup. I just bought a 1983 GMC Sierra Classic King Cab. I can't keep the fuel pumping into the tank. It is as if it doesn't get a good seal around the tank opening in order for the fuel to keep flowing.
I have tried changing the position of the nozzle going in. Nothing changes. I have tried 7 different gas stations (none of which were truck stops) and have determined it is my truck that is the problem. Is there an attachment or something I can purchase for to aid in fueling? It takes almost half an hour to get 10 gallons of fuel. I have a large tank and it never gets filled. Please, somebody come up with a solution. Help! Thank you for your time.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:03 AM

I would check to see if the hose is twisted that the gas goes through. If its twisted the gas may be backing up and shutting it off. If thats not the problem try just holding the gas nozzle just barely in where its about impossible for gas to hit it. My truck does this some times I have no idea what the problem is though.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:47 PM

(("If thats not the problem try just holding the gas nozzle just barely in where its about impossible for gas to hit it. My truck does this some times I have no idea what the problem is though."))
That is about all you can do with it. I have a new '09 that I traded my '05 in on and both of them do it. The '09 is pretty seldom, but if it has a lot of vapor in the tank it will shut off every few seconds. I just BARELY put the nossel in, and start it out at about half speed until it is about half full then I can usually put it in all the way and finish the fill up. The '05 however never filled correctly, I always had to fill it that way. I bought it new as well, and I was never able to get it fixed so it would take gas at full speed. I just got used to it after a while..its a pain but no real fix for it that I know of.
Good luck to you.

Quick Reply: Trouble filling gas tank